Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that one of you brilliant people already knew about this trick but it was new to me. I was talking to a lady who has an 8 month old puppy about the jumping up to the counter/table problem. She said that she had used mouse traps on the kitchen table and if he jumped up they would go off and scare him.

So I went to home depot and bought some... they're pretty big and I thought they would hurt the dogs if the dogs they actually snapped on them so it took me like 3 days to devise a trap where a long spatula is balanced precariously on the trap with some bait on the end of the spatula closest to the edge. When they jump up to get the bait the spatula moves and sets off the trap which, needless to say, scared the junk out of them. They each tried it once last night and haven't gotten up since.

I'm sure they'll forget and try again in a few days but it seems like this just might work!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I think it would be better not to leave anything within reach of the dogs on the counter. When you see them jumping up use a firm NO or DOWN. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish that worked but they jump up even when nothing is up there just to check it out! They also do it during dinner and at other people's houses and I can't ask other people to leave everything away from the counter. I want our dogs to be able to be a part of the family... I don't want to have to always leave them at home or crate them anytime we eat. The firm no or down doesn't mean a thing to them nor do spankings, etc. I know some of the other Beagle owners on here can sympathize with me!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I came home the other day to a whole loaf of bread GONE and it was pushed all the way back on the counter. No amount of no or down works around here, we have tried the can with coins inside and spraying with water but they don't care. Keep us posted on how this works

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
They sell them already made with the rubber flapper on it. I found them at Pet Smart. I hated to do it but had to use them when Jersey was a puppy. She was always jumping to places she shouldn't. They worked great though and I only had to use them for a short time before she got the idea.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like a great trick! Rocky is not big enough yet to get up to the counter, but the coffee table is another story! I'll keep this in mind for later!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so after trying this for a few days my very smart doggies realized that if you jump where there's no spatula nothing happens! Haha! I wanted to line the counters with them but couldn't find enough spatulas! My new approach is to set the trap and then very carefully set it upside down on the counter, I'm going to line the counters with them that way wherever they jump there will be one. Since they're upside down they don't snap any paws or snouts. I tried looking for the ones with the flaps that someone mentioned but can't find them anywhere online!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts