Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got up at 5 a.m. today, hubbie has to be at work at 6 a.m. I let Sadie and Pooh out and they found a scent in the yard and started barking. Way too early for that, so I ran them down and brought them in. I let them out again about 6:30, they started it again, but not as noisy. I was taking my shower and I didn't hear them, I thought they had simmered down. The phone rang and it was our neighbor (we love our neighbors) asking if I could bring my dogs inside. I said yes of course and so sorry. they were barking again. I ran outside, rounded them up and brought them in. I told them that that was that. No more going out this morning. Then Pooh Bear threw up his breakfast on the carpet. The vet gave him Cephalexin anti-biotic pills yesterday for a bacterial ear infection. I only assume that was the cause. So, anyway, we had a bad morning.

I actually try really hard to keep them quiet in the mornings. I put Sadie's harness on her each morning before letting her out back. She is the noisier and wilder of the 2, and with her harness on I can catch her easier and bring her in if she gets noisy. I usually listen for them and if noisy too early I bring them in. I just feel terrible for our neighbor but also feel badk that my dogs don't get to run around some morning before work because there is a scent out there and they bark too much too early.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You're a very considerate neighbor! You neighbors should be grateful. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif

My old neighbor used to leave his husky out ALL NIGHT LONG while he traveled. It was maddening listen to that dog bark all night /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hyper.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi!

This is a tough one!

The good news is that you and your neighbor are on good terms and she knows that you are consciences (sp) about Sadie and Pooh. Your neighbor could have it much worse!

I don't know the answer to this one...will watch to see if anybody else does.

Hang in there.

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gingergoose. There probably isn't an answer. I'll just have to be more diligent about keeping the quiet early in the mornings.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You are a very nice neighbor. It was very nice of you to say sorry and bring them in as soon as possible.

Hope your day ends on a better note!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Hey, just so you don't feel as bad...we just went through about an hour of incessant barking from our neighbor's dog. About half hour into it I finally went outside thinking to myself "what the heck is he barking at?" because this dog is usually pretty good about a warning back and then he'd done. I looked around carefully but didn't see anything, I listened very carefully and discovered that the dog was barking in reply to his own echo /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nono5.gif It was a miracle that he stopped on his own after an hour because no one is home next door and "Louie" wasn't listening to my "QUIET" command /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

Also wanted to add with bunny season in full swing Abby has been scenting a lot in the backyard and barking/yiping. One of the ways I quiet her down rather quickly is going over to her, patting her, and talking to her. I remember quite a while back when I posted about her "yiping" someone, I think Bob actually, told me that that noise was their way of alerting the rest of the pack to what they've sniffed out. Acknowledging her seems to work.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I can SO sympathize and emphasize with you. I try to keep my "kids" quiet early in the morning to avoid bothering anyone - so they usually don't get to go outside until after 8 am. Our town has a 24/7 noise ordinance, so the neighbors can call the police ANY TIME a dog barks - being a small town, many of the officers have come out - but by now they know that I am conscientious about bringing them in quickly - but that sometimes it may take me a couple of minutes to get them all rounded up and brought inside. Because of this my dogs are inside a LOT - and aren't allowed out early mornings or at night. It's frustrating to me - but I DO understand - heck if they barked incessently it would bother ME too - but I don't allow that. About 99% of the time IF they are barking it's because one neighbor's dog is running loose (there IS a leash law here, but they don't seem to follow it) - or their cats are by my fence "teasing" the beagles. They RARELY just "bark to hear themselves".

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, I do feel better now. We have tried gonig out when Sadie is barking and yipping on a scent and talking to her. We say good girl, thank you for alerting us. Or hubbie will say, what are you after girl?? What do you have?? It doesn't work with her. Pooh Bear only barks on a very fresh scent. He isn't the noisy one. As a matter of fact, our neighbor who called knows Sadie and Pooh. And he said, can you bring Sadie inside? He knew it was her making all the noise.

I have wondered if there was a muffle of some sort I could put on Sadie's mouth/nose. That way she could run and play and be on a scent and be quiet. No, I'm not serious, I know it wouldn't be good for her. but my brain has certainly thought about it briefly.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Would it be possible for you to take S & P on a walk first thing? Even if it's just for 15 minutes around the block..... some physical exertion may be just the thing to tire them out a little, do their business, and expend some early morning energy. Tired little Beagles may be less barky Beagles. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good suggestion!! But they do it on walks too. They are not good on leashes and will pick up a scent and do their barking and baying all up and down the street. They are quite embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
You are a very considerate neighbor. I have a neighbor 2 doors down that puts her basset hound out every morning at 5:30. Let's just say that I think he has separation anxiety with the way he carries on. Typically she leaves him out until at least 7:00 so that's an hour and a half of non stop barking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts