Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tramp is our third forever dog, but our first Beagle. Tramp joined our family when he was just 8 weeks old and at that time he had a black head and ears with brown eyebrows. Seemingly overnight, he has morphed! His head and ears are now brown as well as some brown starting to show through the hip area. I can't recall our shepherd-black lab cross doing this... I'm curious, is this common for Beagles? :conf6:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very common. Beagle pups change coloring within the first 16 weeks of life. Mostly the black and brown are affected. Where there's white, it'll stay that way. After about 12 mos you'll start seeing "tick marks" start to surface as well.

Cute pup.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rio Girl! I just searched the forum and discovered the previous discussions and photo posts. Wow, can Beagles ever change... rather interesting!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had 4 beagles in my life. The first we got when I was just 12 years old so I don't remember much about her changing colors early but she lived for 16 years. (I'm in my 40's now!) My next beagle, Casey (my forever best friend and baby!!) I got when I was 28 I think. She also was a tri-color and her markings changed considerably within the first few months. She passed away in January 2006 and in June 2006, I got Ginger and Bailey. Bailey, the tri-color, also changed colors A LOT in the first several months. Her face went from totally black (you can see a pic of them in the Introduction section under New Member from Charlottesville), to almost all brown (more recent pics also posted). Ginger is a lemon/white and her color has NOT changed at all. So .... I'm wondering if any other lemons out there changed or if they stayed the same also ??

So, to answer your question, no it is not unusual at all for them to change colors drastically (unless they are lemon/white!) And I guess we'll see if any lemon owners out there have a different experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I find this thread about beagles changing color so interesting! At birth Boomer's head and ears were all black and now they've changed to tan. Also, his legs were black with white paws but his legs have tanned out.

He is a tri-colored beagle and my question is what are "tick marks" or what does "blue tick" mean? Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Baxter was dark in color, mainly black and white, with small amounts of tan on his face when we first got him. During the last few months he has been changing and lightening up. His head and face are more tan, and his ear change from black to a dark brown. His body markings have not changed much, he is still mainly black and white, with some tan coloring, he is also getting some tick marks on his legs. He is growing up so face! *wipes away a tear* haha. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by cabecca19:
I find this thread about beagles changing color so interesting! At birth Boomer's head and ears were all black and now they've changed to tan. Also, his legs were black with white paws but his legs have tanned out.

He is a tri-colored beagle and my question is what are "tick marks" or what does "blue tick" mean? Thanks!
I find it interesting,also. Since Shiloh is my first beagle but didn't really know they change colors like that ! Wondered what was up because when Shiloh as about 4-5 weeks old his head was black with a spot of tan in corner of each eye. But now at 2 1/2 yrs. most of his head is brown with ares of black. Tick marks usually refer to little colored spots that appear on chest or legs. Guess you could compare it to human freckles. LOL Shiloh's has little brown tick marks own his legs, which would give you the impression he has ticks on him. Makes it kind of hard to tell when he really does .LOL As far as "blue tick" here in Arkansas the only time I ever heard that term was referring to a large hunting dog(hound,I guess). Which most hunters here seem to prefer.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by cabecca19:
...He is a tri-colored beagle and my question is what are "tick marks" or what does "blue tick" mean? Thanks!
Tick marks are little darker colored freckles that appear on otherwise white areas like their belly and legs. A beagle with white may or may not get ticking. My Bagel has ticking.

A "Blue Tick" is IMHO a type of hound. Bagel has a pair of Blue Tick Friends. They are neat hounds but about twice the Bagel's size. I have heard people apply that term to hunting beagles but always figured it was just a beagle with ticking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts