Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squeegee started throwing up yesterday too. He did it the first time around 6:30 and has been throwing up periodically ever since. It seems to be getting less and less frequent. He threw up about 5 minutes ago but before that hadn't done so since about 9am.

He is acting fine, eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally. Nothing in the vomit except dog food and liquid. We tried giving him some pepto (which he hated, by the way!) but he is still doing the occasional vomit. The vet is not open now so it would have to be the very expensive emergency vet if we take him anywhere. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
If he is not showing signs of pain then keep an eye on him. Any worsening of his condition then I'd go to emergency with him. You could try not feeding him. When ours are vomiting we stop food for a day. As I say, if he seems fit just keep a close eye on him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If it were me, I would just keep a very close eye, especially since it sounds like all of Squeegee's activities are normal. One concern with vomiting is dehydration so you might want to check his gums periodically -- if they are very pale/white, that is a sign of dehydration. I learned that dehyration can occur even if the pup is drinking water. I would suggest you not feed him anything for 24 hours (this is very, very hard to stick to but important) and then introduce plain white rice (mixed with a little chicken broth if it is more appealing - although, by the time the 24 hours are up, Squeegee will probably want to eat anything given to him). If he keeps the rice down, then you can add plain, cooked chicken breast to it. Do the chicken and rice for a couple of days and then gradually reintroduce his dog food. You might want to stay away from any treats for a few days. Of course, if he goes from acting fine to not acting fine, off to the emergency vet you go!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I posted this for astroline so will leave it here for you too.

One thing that can help with upset tummies - about a heaping teashpoon of cottage cheese mixed with their kibble - my vet told me about this. The Beaglebratz love cottage cheese so I give it to them 2 - 3 times a week - just for good measure and it gives them a little low-fat treat plus is good for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts