Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping for some suggestions from some of you. I knew Molly was timid and sometimes has tinkle accidents when approached by a man. I have had her for 3 months, she is 2 and came from a shelter. We know nothing of her history other than that she was running the streets.

We take her for walks with Jake and Andy and she does well. She is a character at home and not much scares her except hubby sometimes or male vistors.

So...........today we took her for a mini road trip (without Jake and Andy). She panicked when I tried to walk her while hubby went in a store. Then we got to the park and she had diarrhea all over the ground and wanted to get back in the car. THEN, she threw up big time in the car

I feel bad that she is so terrified. We are calm and gentle with her, and have had a skittish greyhound for 7 years. But he has never panicked to that extreme! I know it takes time but I would like to help her to overcome her terror.

Ideas?? Help??

She is now home, relaxed and being Miss Cool under my feet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Take it slow, and have treats available for strangers to give her. Better, stick with outings with Jake and Andy and have strangers treat all three!

Eventually she will figure out that strange people in strange places give her goodies!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Molly is obviously still carrying some serious baggage. Take you time with her and try to introduce her to more people (men specifically - her favorite treats from them might help) and other dogs. Take the long slow approach.

It will take time. Keep doing what you have been doing.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You never know, she might have smelled something that just triggered horrible memories. Patience and love will overcome those memories with time. If she was mistreated by men, Huibby may have to be specially gentle but she will get better.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. The amazing thing is that I think Sunday's experience lead to a beakthrough in regard to how Molly reacts to my hubby. Since he rescued her from that horrible situation and got her back into the car, she has been following him around more and this morning she was playing with him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, the greatest joy of rescuing is when they take those little <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">baby steps</span></span>. Bless Molly's little heart.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the baby steps too
I am very proud of her. Both of my greys were rescues too so I know how the first months can be.

We plan to take her on a picnic this weekend to a quiet place with Jake and Andy, with no cars whizzing by or things to scare her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts