Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This gets a little bit scarier with each passing day. I don't know what to do anymore! I want the best for Jersey. I know that dog food is going to give her the most balanced nutrition. I don't want to hurt her by feeding her people food...I just don't know if I can keep trusting the pet food industry right now. The food I feed Jersey does not contain wheat gluten, which makes me feel a little bit better. This is so frustrating!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far from the info I've found, it's just more varieties of the same brands, but no new brands. The dog biscuits are the Ol' Roy brand ones sold at Wal-mart as well as other by Sunshine Mills (I think that may be new). What are the rest of you guys doing as far as your food choices? I'm just curious to see what other's are doing.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:Originally posted by ricksconnected:
does anybody know how or why these dog foods are bad at this point? has someone done this?
RC -- Here is some info on the how/why:

The FDA continues to focus on melamine as the suspected contaminant of the pet products, though ... it could be a marker for the presence of another, not yet known substance. Melamine previously was not believed to be toxic. (Note added: melamine is used to make plastics among other products.)

The FDA last week blocked wheat gluten imports from the Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. in the eastern city of Xuzhou, saying they contained melamine. A Las Vegas importer, ChemNutra Inc., this week recalled all wheat gluten it had bought from the supplier and in turn distributed to pet food manufacturers.

Here is the FDA's food recall website where you can check for updates:

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html

What is scary to me about this is that there is still not a definitive statement about exactly what the problem is -- still too many unknowns. I am also afraid that the "official" numbers of pet deaths is seriously low -- my vet, just by himself, has had two cats die and 6 others who are seriously ill, all with the same kidney failure symptoms. Multiply that by all the vets across the country ...

·
Registered
291 Posts
This whole thing might end up pushing me over to giving raw. Of course, there's dangers there too, but the list of recalled things is so wide-spread, and it's worrying to think that one company is in control of so many different brands (is there any brand of canned food that isn't made by menu?).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts