Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More on... Do I want a second one?

I’ve been watching this local beagle breeder’s web site for a while. Lokavi Beagles
In fact, before we adopted Sparky, I talked with them about a puppy. At the time, they tried to interest me in a young male instead of a puppy. The dog had several ribbons, but needed a couple more to attain Champion status.
Under the agreement they proposed, We would adopt the dog, but they reserved the right to continue his show career… Which would mean, we’d have to wait to get him fixed, etc.
No thanks.

Fast forward to this week: I knew they had a litter coming soon, so I asked about a male puppy again.
This is their reply…

Quote:
Our new litter was born yesterday - 5 pups (3 girls & 2 boys), but they are all reserved. We had to disappoint two families who were waiting in hopes that she would have more than 5. Our next litter has not yet been conceived, so the exact due date remains unknown. She is not yet in heat. She is past due, though. Puppies are usually $1,000.

Is there any reason you are specifically looking for a male? I ask because we had Bebe (the mother of the new litter) spayed when they did her c-section, so we could adopt her out. She is a wonderful, wonderful, dog, loves everyone and gets along with anything. She is a Champion, so is used to people, dogs, travel, crate-trained, and adaptable to anything. She just turned 4 in December. She can go after the pups are weaned and she gets back in shape. You are welcome to visit her anytime. We ask a $100 adoption fee.

If you want to be added to the list to be notified of our next litter, just let us know. Meanwhile, you are always welcome to come visit our dogs. Just call first as this is our home and not a business.

If we can help you further, please let us know.
Nothing wrong with trying to good find homes for your retiring show/ breeding stock, if your in the business… I guess.

You can only feed so many hungry beagles.

Does anyone (Those who breed, especially.) see any warning signs here, that might make you think that there are issues?
I didn’t ask how many litters Bebe has had, but is 4yrs. a reasonable age when one would stop showing, and/or breeding her? Is a c-section standard procedure, or done only when there‘s a problem? Is the $100 a token, “We can’t just give her away.”, or is it a discounted price to get rid of a problem quickly?

I really want a second beagle. Karen seems to at least understand and accept the idea. Bebe sounds like a possibility and I plan on setting up an appointment to see her... and the puppies, of course.

After the heartache we went through with Sparky, we’re a little gun shy. It really needs to work if we’re going to do it again. The list of questions we plan to ask is growing by the minute!

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: More on... Do I want a second one?

I am not a breeder but if they are serious breeders I would think they could get a statement of health from their vet? They also seem very open to you visiting. If you scheduled a visit you would be able to see for yourself the cleanliness and condition of the facility and their dogs. I live in a puppy mill state and I know many of the places that have been investigate/shut down are not places I would adopt from if I did a visit. It is quite apparent that those places were only into mass production and profit.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

When Murphy passed away and left Summer alone, we decided one is enough, even though Frani always wanted a puppy. Me, I will always choose a older adoptee. Puppies always find homes. Older dogs don't have it so easy. So, I would lean towards an older dog.

So, you are considering adopting a former breeding female. Nothing wrong with that. Asking a token $100 is no issue either. Many people will take a FREE dog and dump it when a problem arises (Kali's life before us). The fee makes prospective adopters think twice, which is a good thing. Visit the breeder. Look around. Meet Bebe, and go with your instincts (they are usually right). If all goes well, tentatively accept, and make arrangements for Bebe to meet your Sadie. You might want to consider adding a caveat that includes approval from YOUR vet. If the meeting goes well, bring her home... and let the real fun begin.

Good luck.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Originally Posted By: Karebru
Nothing wrong with trying to good find homes for your retiring show/ breeding stock, if your in the business… I guess.

You can only feed so many hungry beagles.
Many many reputable breeders rehome ex-show and breeding dogs, in fact I would say the majority do, as they only breed when they want to keep something for themselves to breed and show. While some breeders are able to keep larger packs, not many can, and some want their loved breeding/show dogs to live out their retirement as spoilt pet dogs.

Retirees can make excellent pets for the reasons stated in their email to you.

Quote:
Does anyone (Those who breed, especially.) see any warning signs here, that might make you think that there are issues?
I didn’t ask how many litters Bebe has had, but is 4yrs. a reasonable age when one would stop showing, and/or breeding her? Is a c-section standard procedure, or done only when there‘s a problem? Is the $100 a token, “We can’t just give her away.”, or is it a discounted price to get rid of a problem quickly?
It is hard to comment without knowing the breeders but I don't see anything suss. Many breeders only ask the cost of desexing for the retired dogs. I wouldn't pay the price of a puppy for an adult dog, another reason why retirees can be a great option for someone looking for a pet - you get a great dog from a good breeder at a discounted price

C-sections are not normally indicative of a health issue. It may even be why they are rehoming her, I know a pug breeder who will desex any bitch that has to have a c-section as they want all their bitches to free whelp - although it may not be as prolific a problem in beagles as it is in pugs.

Four is a common age for breeders to retire dogs, if they are going to rehome them to a pet home. They get to live out the prime of their lives as a spoilt pet

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks, guys.
Yes, it seems like they are very open with nothing to hide.
They also said a trial period is no problem. During which I would have my vet check her out. Sadie has a nail trim appointment on Friday. If I can corner the doctor, I'll tell them what were considering and see what they say.

This is Bebe's third litter.

Then there's the Mama, who needs to be more sure of the whole idea than she is right now. (...Kind of important.
)

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts

Doesnt' sound sketchy at all to me, if they let you visit and you take her to your own vet and everything checks out i dont see anything weird. Most breeders will rehome exbreeders/show dogs for usually a very small fee as long as their placed in a good home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts