Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, since my last post we have taken Molly's pen away and I think its working out well. She is baby-gated in the kitchen when we aren't home (with Jake and Andy) and they are doing fine.

The trouble is...she will totally, 100% go potty outside for my hubby, no problem. But for me...nope. I just spent 45 minutes outside -- first in her potty area, then in the common area by our house trying and trying but no luck. Brought her in and gated her in the kitchen. Not even 5 mins passed and she pee'd on the throw rug. That is what she does all the time with me. I stand out there for 20 mins trying to get her to go, saying all the same things my hubby does, but nothing. Then he comes out, takes the leash and she goes. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Help!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Hmmm, how odd. How about after you bring her in. Stay in just a few minutes and then take her right back out. Ours used to go out and they were so busy playing and wrestling, that they would not go pee. We would bring them back inside and they would pee.

Is she a Daddy's girl? Maybe she responds better to his voice?
Are you using the same exact wording for go Pee? You may not have time, but maybe try keeping her out there until she goes??

I'm stumped. I'm sure others will have some suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is actually a bit afraid of my hubby, so my friends joke that he scares the pee out of her! I do use the same words as him, and same potty spots, I peeked and listened one time to make sure I did the same thing. She seems to think I want her to go inside for some reason???? Its very frustrating. I want to take her away on an overnight with me but I can't if she won't potty!!

One night I took her out 6 times and on the 6th try (when i was ready to cry), she finally pee'd!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ok - I'm kind of stumped too but you might try this -

Next time you take Molly out IF by any chance she does potty (pee or poo) just overly reward her (not treats so much but by the tone of your voice) tell her what a good girl she is, clap your hands-"YEA Molly - such a great little girl - oh such a sweet baby - such a good girl". I know, making a fool but hey, it just might work. Or, next time you do take her out and no potty - when you do bring her in then keep the leash on but let her walk by herself. STAY with her and watch her - the second she starts sniffing the floor or looking like she might potty then back outside you and Molly go. If still no potty and you come back in - then do it all over again. Dogs do give signs - I have learned to read the Beaglebratz body language - they do show it.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evening update and a list of things I have tried.

I fed her supper and then walked her to the potty area. Nothing. Walked her to the common area and fire hydrant, nothing. Back into the yard and onto a tie lead for 20 mins, nothing. Came in the house and she pee'd on the throw rug (I have many) and pooped on the floor. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

What I have done so far:

- repeated the steps that hubby does
- rewarded her with treats and kisses the FEW times she did a potty
- put her soiled throw rug in the potty area
- used the potty training spray (all she did was try to roll in it)
- took her out ASAP when I see her circling - nothing happens.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a new plan of action but don't know what she wants. For some reason, she thinks I want her to pee on that throw rug.

·
Registered
250 Posts
when you gate her take out the rugs. then she wil have nothing to pee on if she thinks that is what she is supposed to go on.
and i know it may look weird but pick up all the rugs.

patience is the key. i bet you havent heard that a million times.
but just keep with it.

another thing maybe try having you take her out more often then your hubby. that way she learns that no matter who takes her out or when she can go.

what i did with diesel is i grabbed his paw and scratched the door before i took him out to teach him to signal me when he needed to go. have hubby try that and maybe she will learn it and do it for you so you have some sort of signal.

she doesnt sound like your average puppy. haha diesel wasnt either. i have had to come up with some very strange ways to train him.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for those ideas! I will get some of that really good cleaner and clean the floor area and pick up the throw rug. Then take her back out again after a bit. I thought of a bell for her to ring to go potty, but am afraid she will eat it!!

Of course hubby just took her out now and she pee'd ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last night I was watching "Its the Dog or Me" and the show was about a dog that went potty in the house.

I had taken up the throw rug, and saw Molly circling on the kitchen floor so out we went. I had treats in my pocket and she got a boat load!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/toofunny.gif

Go Molly - great job.

PS - Don't give up, she may keep up the good work from now on but like someone else posted, it can be 1 step forward then a step or two bak HOWEVER one day it WILL be all steps forward and no steps bak - I'm still waiting for that day to come with Shasta but Shiloh has been there for a few years.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Re: More help needed with Potty Training - Pleeeee

Whoohoo!! WTG Molly!!

BTW, I was watching that same episode /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks everyone. Its nice to have the support here for sure.

We went out for several hours today and I made sure the throw rug was up, and she didn't have any accidents /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif No pee on the leash for me yet today but I won't give up!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Update ---- at 9:30 pm last night I got her to pee outside! (That was the 3rd trip out -- and we were getting tired). Luckily I had treats in my pockets, I seem to have them in all my jackets /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts