Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all your feedback. I called the vet to make an apt to get Copper checked for UTI. I spoke with the vet on the phone and he said that since Copper not just peed but pooped in the house that it's not UTI. He gave me some ideas to help. For example I didnt realize that by giving Copper a treat could stimulate a bowel movement. HE said that I shouldnt give any more treats until Copper is housetrained. TO answer the questoin from JAva the Beagle, I am usually in the same room with him when he pees, but not always. Yesterday morning whe I got him out of his crate I realized he had peed in there at some point during the night. Tonight I took him out at 9:30pm, watched him pee, PRAised him big time, then petted him while he lay on my lap while I watched a movie. He got up at 10:00 and walked to the kitchen and peed on the floor. My husband is having a coniption - and I am afraid he wont put up with this forever - But I soo appreciate hearing all of your experience in dealing with this - it is really encouraging and helps me to stick with this. I am trying all the advice that you all have given me - especially about going back to housebreaking him as if he's a new puppy. ANy more ideas or just similary stories are much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Bonnie, what do you do when you catch him going in the house? I think its important to take him right out and say potty outside or whatever word you use with him. You also need to use that word each time he does go outside.
If I remember right you said that before you got Copper he had been mostly in a crate and not much attempt was made to housetrain him, so your job is even tougher. He has not learned that it isn't Ok to go inside the house. He had almost a year to learn bad habits and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a year to learn new habits.
I think I might start him on a routine like you would with a puppy who has little bladder control. Take him out every hour, and after he eats, drinks or plays. I would also start teaching him a signal, like a bell on the door. Ring it every time you take him out. If he hasn't been taught to tell people he needs to get out, he might have no idea what he should do.
I am not sure I completely agree with your vet. I have had cats do both in the house with a bladder infection. He's probably right that Copper just isn't housetrained yet but I don't know that I would be comfortable with a diagnosis over the phone. Its nice that he is willing to talk with you on the phone and save the cost of an office visit and testing but watch Copper closely to make sure no other symptoms develop because a bladder infection can make him feel terrible.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Anytime after eating, drinking, sleeping or napping he needs to go outside for supervised pee. Here is a question for you. When he peed in the kitchen. Did he pee in the middle of the floor, or up against the side of something? If he peed on the bottom/side of something in the kitchen he could be marking. Did you say if he has been fixed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Assuming your dog is healthy, a combination of positive and negative reinforcement may work. In case of our 2 month old Zbój it did. We were praising him whenever he did his business outside and scolding if he did it inside. It took approx 2 weeks to teach him. Now (he's 3.5 months old) we can leave his crate open during the night - he'll just wait until we take him out. During the day he'll indicate he wants to go out...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I catch Copper in the act of peeing I hold him by the collar and scold him, (I say sternly in a deep gruff foice NO DOG or something like that) then take him outside to see if he has more peeing to do. I guess that it similar to the combination approach that Mkielbas recommended. I like the idea of a bell on the door. At one point this evening he went and sat at the kitchen door and looked at it and I immediately took him out and he went. So maybe he is going to get the hand of it and I do just need to be patient. You are right Jassy, he will be a year old this week (on the fourth) so has had a lot of time to learn bad habits with his former owners. Also, to answer the question from Mom of Two Beagles, when he pees in the kitchen he usually pees on the trash can. He was neutered last month. I clean everything up with Natures Miracle. I also like the idea of taking him out after every time he eats, drinks, sleeps or naps. I've been letting him drink all the water he wants and noticed that he drinks a lot in the evening. I dont want to stop him from doing this on hot days, but then again, maybe that contributing to the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts