Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Monty woke up on the wrong side of the bed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif He slept with us last night, at the foot of the bed, which he normally does. But i woke up at 4am and he was lying across my spot, pushing me OFF the bed, so i tried to gently move him, and he snapped at me! he's never snapped at me before /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I think he realized how shocked and upset I was, because he jumped off the bed and went into his crate (which is right next to the bed). We both went back to sleep, and woke up at 5:30 when the alarm went off. I put his breakfast out for him, and went get ready for work, i came back to check on him, and he hadn't touched his food. But, as soon as I got close, he started growing at me, and lunged at me! Justin came in and Monty quickly ate a bit of food, then went to his crate again.

Just last night Justin and him got into a bit of an argument because he did the same thing to Justin...growling and snapping when Justin went near him when he was eating. Justin took his food away, and gave it back when he calmed down, but i'm not brave enough to go near him when he's like that! I don't understand, it's not like he's starving, and when he's not eating he's the sweetest dog ever. (except when i woke him up).

Help?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sounds like you have a dominant beagle. You have to show that you are boss not Monty. For the time being dont let him sleep on the bed, shut his crate once hes in it if need be. Make him 'sit' whilst you fill his food bowl and put it down once he is in the sit position.Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. I really have to work on showing him that i'm more dominent then him. For some reason, it's really hard for me! Last night after Justin took his food away from him and raised his voice at him, he looked so shocked and scared, he wouldn't come near us for a good hour, i felt so bad. i don't want my dog hating me, but i want him to respect me and listen to me. It's hard!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Letty _&_Monty:
... i don't want my dog hating me, but i want him to respect me and listen to me. It's hard!
Monty will be happier if he knows where he stands! If he gets mixed signals, I suspect Monty see Justin as dominant but Monty can't figure out where you and he stand as # 2. You do not have to be mean to be dominant and Monty will not hate you for asserting yourself, if anything, he'll love you more. Angela (A Doghouse) gave some good advice. You could take it one step further and if you feed him kibble, hand feed for a couple days. If he takes a position on the bed and you enjoy his company, make him get off the bed until you settle in, then invite him. Any growl or complaint on his part should result in sleeping in his crate. Believe it or not, not knowing his position status is very streesful to Monty, he'll be happier once he no longer questions your authority over him!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Has Monty been through obedience class with you? I learned a LOT about how-dogs-think....obedience class is more for the owners than the dogs :biglaugh:

I'm not the perfect alpha, but I'm better than I was BEFORE class. My two have to work for their dinner and treats (ie: sit, stay, down); I periodically remove their treats and toys, then give them back if they show proper behavior. They are allowed on the couch and bed, but I make a point of moving them from their spot if I want to sit there, by using the "off" command, then invite them back up. It reminds them who REALLY owns the sofa.

Maggie is a dominant female. Calvin is NOT dominant, so he's much easier to train. Maggie is the one who challenges me the most. I lovingly remind her who's boss, by touching her in places she doesn't like ie: pads of feet, between her toes, genitalia, ears and teeth. She also hates to be on her back and have her tummy rubbed, so I turn her over and do that also. It's done in a loving way. However, she is rewarded when she 'relaxes' and allows it instead of fighting to stand up. (also another exercise learned in class)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, thanks, Monty and I are going to try alot of that! Unfortunatly he hasn't gone to obedience school. It's something I keep wanting to do, but right now it's a matter of money, and as much as i hate it, bills have to come first. I think i'm going to start a "disipline jar" though. Everytime he does something we don't want him to, i'm going to put some money in the jar...in no time i should have enough to take him to class /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Seriously though, I am going to try some of these techniques. thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts