Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monty had his first appointment on the underwater tredmill yesteday to strenghten his back legs. He walked 15 minutes this time, and next time he will do more. We have also been doing physical therapy with him at home for two weeks to stretch out the muscles in his legs that are too tight and causing problems. The physical therapist said that his gait has already improved.

Dry walk

Then it started filling up with water, he found that a little strange

He wasn't sure which feet to hold up out of the water

When the water was a little deeper he didn't find it that bad anymore

Of course he received a lot of praise and treats from his mommy for being such a good boy.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Great pictures!
Way to go Monty for being so brave....

(Is the therapy needed due to surgery or due to another problem? I'm sure I missed your post regarding his back end) :freak:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:Is the therapy needed due to surgery or due to another problem?
No, it's not due to surgery. Monty has Spondylosis, which is most likely due to the muscles in his legs being too tight/short, causing him to have an weird gait. Monty also pees in a handstand instead of standing on three legs because he isn't able to stretch just one leg out. So he's getting physical therapy in order to stretch to muscles out, which should improve his gait and thus prevent any further progress of the spondylosis.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Heather -- you are a great beagle Mommy! Monty is just beautiful and, hopefully, the hydrotherapy will go a long way towards a life of feeling good!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Heather,

Thanks for the birds-eye-view on hydrotherapy. Monty is handling it like a champ. I'm glad it's available to him.

My Henry would panic in such an enclosure. And with water coming in, he would probably pass out from fright.

How does Monty "hand stand" to wee-wee? Was he born with spondylosis?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:How does Monty "hand stand" to wee-wee? Was he born with spondylosis? [/QB]
Instead of just lifting one leg to pee, like most boy dogs do, Monty lifts both back legs at the same time and kind of hold them up over his head. He even manages to pee on his stomach sometimes. I'll try and take a picture of it one of these days. It looks rather silly when he does it, but he just can't help it. Sometimes he even walks around for awhile on his two front legs before he finally puts his back legs back on the ground.

He wasn't born with Spondylosis, but the vets can't be sure which came first - the Spondylosis or the funny gait & tight "quads" (not sure if they're called that in dogs). Either one could have caused the other. But getting the muscles stretched back out and strengthend (especially the muscles that aren't being used much now due to pain) should improve his range of motion, thus allowing for a more natural gait and peeing behavior, which should, in turn, help reduce strain on his back. At this point in time his Spondylosis is rather mild, so we're hoping it will stay that way through proper treatment.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I as well like the picture where he is trying to life his legs out of the water. Give him lots of beagly love from Lucky and me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts