Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes! My husband woke me up early this morning all freaked because a long worm came out in Molly's poo! Its definately a roundworm and I am so grossed out. Since its a holiday weekend and the vet will be closed tomorrow, we ran to the store and got worming meds and she is medicated now. I just checked Jake and Andy's poos and didn't see anything, but I will take samples of everyones to the vet on Tuesday.

Molly was adopted from a shelter in late Feb. and had one worming, on 2/8. She is about 2 years old.

Poor Molly, that worm was huge and gross

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yuck! But, it's good you caught it and she is being treated for it. The vet may want all 3 on preventive medication. when you got her, did the vet do a stool sample?

When I got Chloe from her breeder, the vet insisted on a stool sample (and we found out she had parasites so she was on medication for a few days) and every year they are doing a stool sample (gave one yesterday at the vets).

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's an interesting question. On her medical paperwork from the shelter it said that she received the de-worming meds but nothing about a fecal sample. I would assume they did it??? Anyway, she is full of energy today and I think she is glad to get that nasty thing out of her!! She only weighs 18 pounds and it was pretty long.

Samples from all 3 dogs will go to the vet on Tuesday for testing, that's for sure.

Does anyone know how long the meds take to start killing the worms and eggs?

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for that link! I always assumed they got it from eating fresh feces. BUT.....I forgot about all the rabbit poo around my yard. Plus, since Molly Bean came from a shelter and we don't know her history, she could have had them all along.

Yep, she is 18 pounds and sooooooo tiny. Almost like a cat!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Toby got some kind of worm one time because he ate some little animal he caught - YUCK! If I remember correctly the medicine was just one big pill and worked very quickly. I was disgusted, of course, but it sounded like it was pretty common! So many dogs will just eat anything and Toby is definitely in that group.

Keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we decided to give the de-wormer to Jake and Andy to be safe. Molly just went poo and nothing was moving! They all seem to be okay so far on the de-wormer meds, no side effects. We will take a sample from everyone to the vet in a few days.

Ewwwwww, I am still grossed out by that thing!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked the vet today. They want a sample of Molly's poo for now, and then said that all 3 dogs should be re-medicated in about 3 weeks. Unless of course, the sample finds something else!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts