Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing there are moles in the yard because sometimes (daily) Diggity will start tracking something, yelping at the ground, and eventually digging a hole. She digs like a crazy dog, biting chunks out of the ground and barking into the hole. All I can guess it that she can smell a mole through the dirt? Dotty just gives moral support by barking with her occasionally. Now I have all these holes in the yard about the size of footballs. In the meantime I have installed an ultrasonic mole repeller and am hoping that ends it. Any idea if I'm correct?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ugh. I hate moles, voles, gophers and any critter that decides to tear up my yard from the bottom up.

I've had limited success with the ultrasonic repellers. In one area it seemed to work, in another area it didn't work.

I used to use poison peanuts, but Murphy also seems to go after them, and I don't want to take a chance on him digging the poison up. Needless to say this year they've been worse than ever since I don't have an effective way of combating them.

The thought of a few well placed sticks of dynamite has crossed my mind...

·
Registered
350 Posts
i think you are right,
but i have watched champ dig for an hour, aggresively, stopping, sniffing, biting, digging, all for nothing.
and no sign of any mole anywhere.

but as far as getting rid of moles.
i would think beagles would be good at it.
C

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Moles, voles, squirrels, rabbits, birds... Summer calls them prey and god help them should they enter her territory (which is anywhere she can see).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My Mom has a mole in her garden. She called the city and they gave her a trap that is half burried in the dirt. I have offered to bring Caesar over to hunt it. I think he would have lot's of fun!
When I was a kid we had a mole in the garden and my parents used used our cat, who was an excellant hunter, to catch it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That is funny - I opened this thread thinking it was about strange growths on the skin! I don't think ours have ever come in contact with the other kind of moles... I'm sure if they did they would react much like they do for squirrel, rabbits etc.!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They've never caught one as far as I know. But by the time they've dug down, I would think the mole had moved on somewhere else. This morning I found the repeller lying on the ground. The dogs had to dig out the hole I filled in around it...probably to see what else I had buried...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Is the ground raised in tunnels? If so then thats a mole or voles. They are not fun to catch.
I came across last year Chipmunks and they can dig and tunnel. They don't leave a mound of dirt, so you don't even know they are there. Also they have a hole about an inch in diameter. They are cute from a distance, but really destructive. Just from talking to other people in Ct, I know theya re becoming a problem.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
We have one of those holes in our yard. There used to be a mole living there. Snoopy ate it. Yes, she ate the WHOLE thing. I didn't realize she was eating a mole at the time. I just thought it was another worm (her favorite thing to eat next to bunny poop). Anyway, she got very sick--went to vet--bland diet--two days later she was back to normal. The outcome? I haven't seen a mole since.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally Posted By: pfrIs the ground raised in tunnels? If so then thats a mole or voles. They are not fun to catch.
I came across last year Chipmunks and they can dig and tunnel. They don't leave a mound of dirt, so you don't even know they are there. Also they have a hole about an inch in diameter. They are cute from a distance, but really destructive. Just from talking to other people in Ct, I know theya re becoming a problem.

Good Luck!
That reminds me of Chip and Dale.

I often wonder what would happen if we took Quinn and Grayson on Camp Pendleton. They will probably go NUTS over the cottontail infestation!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: Joe BeaglesMoles, voles, squirrels, rabbits, birds... Summer calls them prey and god help them should they enter her territory (which is anywhere she can see).
same on this end, cept for the birds. ted has no intrest in birds watsoever. attributed to the fact that we have a parrot, so he's learned to ignore them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts