Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago it was discovered that Boomer had mite/mange. He was on medicine and it seems to have cleared up.

What do you know about mites/mange???

When we look for our next puppy, should we find a different breeder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I adopted 2 beagles(sisters), who are now almost 18 months old. When they went in to be spayed around 6 months, the vet noticed on Maggie(she our Lemon) that the hair on her chest wasn't really growing in and her skin was red. He did a skin test on her and she had demodectic mange. He tested Jasmine, but she didn't have it. Also their other two sisters had it.
So every two weeks we had to drop Maggie off to be dipped. It started clearing up, but not to the vets liking, so he gave her a shot for the other mange. Since then her hair has grown in great and no more red skin.

From what I understand is the demodectic mange is passed from the mother. If you were to find this from a breeder they usually have the dog spayed and won't breed her. The other mange is something that is passed from dog to dog or even sometimes to humans. In our case the mother was a rescue, so before she left to go to her new home she was spayed.

Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Beasley originally had some hair missing on her face, and the Vet was concerned about Mange...The test came up positive, but now Beasley has a spot of hair on her side that isn't growing back, so I'm going to have the vet test her again just in case.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by The Dean:
Beasley originally had some hair missing on her face, and the Vet was concerned about Mange...The test came up positive, but now Beasley has a spot of hair on her side that isn't growing back, so I'm going to have the vet test her again just in case.
Sometimes "heat spots" will have the very same appearance but are hot to the touch and be very itchy at times. I purchased,fron local feed store,a product called "Red Horse Mange" it can be used for both. Have used it on Shiloh and works great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.