Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night as Daisy and I were going through our "beddy-bye" ritual I was standing behind her as she was going toward her bed to lie down she noticed herself in the long mirror on the wall behind her bed. Since I was right behind her, she could see me in the mirror, too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

She sat there staring into her own reflection and I thought it was cute and wondered what she was thinking. So I leaned down and petted her and said Daisy, then patted myself and said Mama. I did this several times to see if she might understand that it was us she was seeing. She was so still looking like she was thinking soo hard. I thought just maybe she understood what she saw was the two of us. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Then she made this very soft Uff, Uff, bark! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

My guess is that she thought she saw another dog, but couldn't figure out why she saw me, too. So she did this little test to see if "the other dog" would react to her. Nothing happened so she just got into her bed and curled up like "oh well, I'm not bothering with this." :biglaugh:

Have you ever had anything like this happen to you? What do you think -- did they understand?

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hee Hee. Yes I have a stand up mirror in my closet and Soozie always stops to look at herself. I think she thinks she is beautiful and so do I. Polly will stop in front of the glass doors on my entertainment unit and look at herself too. I think she is thinking "how did I get so old", but she is beautiful too. I always say to them "isn't that a pretty puppy". I wonder what they really think.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
You are new here soo I will forgive that mistake!
Beags are smart enough to recognize theirselves in a mirror! Snapper was my first one in the mid 1970,s to "admire himself" in a mirror!And in the few times we caught him doing that (he acted as though he was embarrassed @ being caught in the act! There is no doubt to us that a beag is the most compatible hound for humans /next to a labrador/lickador!(But a beag) is more transportable due to their size & they take-up less "bed-space"! :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey ignores mirrors pretty much. I held her in front of them when she was a puppy and let her look at herself but she really just seemed like she couldn't care less.

Amber was funny the first time she saw a mirror. At my parents house we have a full wall of mirrors in the living room. Amber noticed another "dog" there once and kept running into the bedroom behind the wall of mirrors to try and find the other dog. LOL! It took about 10 minutes of her doing this and me standing in the mirror by her before she realized it was her own reflection that she was seeing. She was a beautiful dog, but not the brightest candle on the birthday cake. :hi:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I held Abby to a mirror when she was little also and she didn't seem to care one way or another. My mother and step father have a closet in their bathroom that has floor to ceiling mirrors and Abby don't show any interest in it at all.

Abby has also watched herself on videos on the computer and that seems to get her attention more than the mirrors do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, then, NWR, I guess I can assume Daisy DID understand and probably didn't care after she figured it out -- she just got bored with it and crawled into bed to sleep.

I know she's smart -- just didn't understand what she "said". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Monica and Daisy (the smart one!!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Popcorn definitely thinks that her reflection is another dog - and given her general fear of pretty much everything that usually means something else to be afraid of.

In particular, we have a window right beside the front door to our building and she catches her reflection in the window EVERY TIME we come up to the front door, and scares herself enough to crouch down on the ground... This has happened at least two or three times, if not more, every day for the past year and a half!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts