Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my customers came in today and mentioned that he had just gotten a miniature beagle. I went out to see her and could not believe my eyes. She was four months old and could not have weighed more than five or six pounds! She looked just like regular full-blooded beagle, but much, much smaller. Has anyone else heard of this line of beagle before??

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Daisy's Mom!! For some reason I had totally forgotten about the Pocket Beagles!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Miniature Beagles are 13 Beagles. They just don't grow to the full height. A lot of times they have health problems due to their shorter legs and are more prone to genetic defects. They are not recognized in the breed standard and are considered to be 13 as any Beagle that is 13 or lower at the withers is 13 and any that is 13-15 is considered 15.

They look a little strange as full grown, but sure are cute.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ugh, sounds like another stupid designer breed doesn't it!! I wonder how many of these beagles are purebred? It seems like making miniatures of breeds is the in thing to do now, regardless of health or ethical breeding.

One thing I love about my beagle is her size! They are real goldilocks dogs. Not too big, not too small - she's just right.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Okay - from what I've read on the subject, pocket beagles were bred during the time of Queen Elizabeth I! They died out due to so many health issues. There ARE some breeders who advertise pocket beagles, but according to everything I've read there ain't no such animal any more. Yes, there are SMALL beagles. I have 2 very little girls - but they're darned sure NOT miniature beagles. They're just small. My Chloe is about 10.5 - and about 15-16# - and Lottie is a tiny bit shorter, but fatter (tho we're working on that). They're a great size - as beaglemom says, just right. Please everyone, don't fall for those ads that promise pocket beagles - yes, the tiny ones are adorable, but they also have multiple health problems. I specifically looked for a SMALL male from GOOD lines to breed with my JoJo. Tanna is about 20#, and both of his parents were small and were International Field Champions - and he has MANY field and international field champs in his line (as does JoJo). Three of the four pups I have from him (3 from JoJo and one from Lottie) are about 20#, one (Jack) is probably closer to 30, he's a much broader beagle like his Grandpa Joe. The two younger girls are both small, and Joe, while not tiny, is also a smaller beagle. You'll find a lot of info on the web - just don't fall for the ads! You'll pay a fortune for a puppy that will probably come with multliple health problems.

http://www.crbeagles.com/misc/pocket_beagles_mini_beagles.htm

·
Registered
837 Posts
I know its different in my country (australia) because we only have the one sized beagle, which is a maximum of 15 in height. Coming from English lines a lot of our beags are bigger, stockier and have more block-y heads than American beagles.

My personal opinion is that we have a beagle breed standard for a reason, because it is the fingerprints to breed the best beagles we can. I have no respect for breeders who deliberately breed away from the breed standard, or don't breed with it in mind. If a breeder is completely disregarding the breed standard and is deliberately breeding away from it, as miniature beagle breeders would obviously do to get such small dogs, then they are not breeding proper beagles and are doing the breed no favours.

(rant over, LOL!!!)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: SmeagleI know its different in my country (australia) because we only have the one sized beagle, which is a maximum of 15 in height. Coming from English lines a lot of our beags are bigger, stockier and have more block-y heads than American beagles.

My personal opinion is that we have a beagle breed standard for a reason, because it is the fingerprints to breed the best beagles we can. I have no respect for breeders who deliberately breed away from the breed standard, or don't breed with it in mind. If a breeder is completely disregarding the breed standard and is deliberately breeding away from it, as miniature beagle breeders would obviously do to get such small dogs, then they are not breeding proper beagles and are doing the breed no favours.

(rant over, LOL!!!)
Agree!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The standard here is 13 (and under) and 15 (and under). My Tanna is roughly 12 1/2 - so he and his offspring fall under the 13 beagle. I love my smaller beagles, but they are still in the breed standard. One of the most magnificent beagles I know (my JoJo's uncle) is 18 tall and weighs 53# - too big for our standard, but still magnificent. By the way, that's him on my avatar. I think he's magnificent - except when I went to NY to get JoJo he slept with me (in a twin bed) - what a bed hog!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some have asked if our Daisy is a minature when in reality she has a very rare disease,Chinese Beagle Syndrome. Daisy stands 7 inches off the floor, and is about 10 1/2 inches in lenght. Some believe CBS is a form of dwarftism. Daisy's DNA was sent to UC Davis in California who are researching this syndrome.

As most here have said, this size beagle is not normal and many, many other medical problems will probably be detected. Daisy had double cataract surgery at 1 1/2 years, she has a heart problem and will most likely develop spine problems down the road along with her daily limitation, so although they are incredily cute and loveable, there is a lot of worry, concern, financial investment for the owner, which is secondary to what the dog has to go through.

We never regret Daisy is our lives and wouldn't change her, but I don't know if I would willing bring home another like her - our hearts hurt for her a little every day.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
How sad! I have to ask, did you buy her from a breeder, and if so was she advertised as a miniature or pocket beagle? As you have learned the hard way, CBS is a very sad problem. My heart aches for you and your little Daisy.
I have to stress to everyone, please don't buy from anyone who advertises pocket or miniature beagles. There ARE small beagles out there that are from healthy lines. Many of us have little ones that are smaller than average, but still very healthy, but they're very definitely NOT pocket or miniatures. Please beware of these ads.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Our little Violet is a tiny girl, only about 11 and 18 pounds. But I really do think she has a little, itty, bitty bit of Doxie in her and that's why she's a little smaller than most beags.

As cute and cuddly as her size is (even her vet thought she was perfect size), I would never want to risk any health issues to have a tiny beagle. I hope someday society will shun the malicious breeders that have so little concern for the welfare of the dogs they breed.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My Chloe is a very small beagle - she was the tiniest beagle I'd ever seen when I adopted her (her first owner bought her but couldn't keep her - and with my theory of what's one more beagle puppy - I took her. She is truly my little heart, but that is not necessarily size (tho I love her size), but her personality and the fact that she is so bonded with me - I truly believe she knows what I'm thinking. She will never win any beagle beauty contests, and I know I have beagles that are more to standard, but she is beautiful to me. But then all my babies are beautiful to me. Unless she's next to one of the others, it's difficult to see how tiny she really is, but she's about 10.5-11 and weighs about 15-16#. She's really a perfect size. Lottie is a little shorter, but she's sturdier than Chloe. My younger girls, Bella and Angel are a little bigger - but they're small too.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
She is sooooooooooooo cute!

Molly is super tiny too, she reminds me more of a cat sometimes. I think now she weighs about 18 pounds, she was 16 when she came from the shelter. She can squish under the bed, couch etc. without a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Glenda, Chloe might actually be related to Rufus! He is a mini
-beag as well...but he is now over 12 yrs old & starting to
have the same age-issues that 16&1/4 yr old Goober has! Rufus
has a course coat like Snapper did & seems more suseptible to
skin conditions unlike Goober or his younger mate Nibbler that
have very soft coats. Btw, Rufus hails from Washington state,
as well! Homer-the-Huge is a mix-breed hound like Snapper was,
but he is a much larger version of Snapper! Snapper was a long
legged version of Rufus...& both of them weighed under 20 lbs
for their entire life, & Homer weighs over 80 lbs!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Glenda, I am sure that although you are breeding smaller sized beagles they are just that - beagles that are smaller but still within the breed standard and are structurally built the same as their larger relatives, just in a smaller body. The lines, movement, structure should be the same, so the dogs are still in the breed standard and built like beagles, just in smaller packages.

It is not the same as many mini beagle breeders who breed for size and temperment, standard and health get sacrificed along the way.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
NW - it IS possible. I didn't buy Chloe - a lady here in Colfax bought her from a store in Clarkston (or Lewiston - not sure) that sells garden supplies and some pets. I KNOW better than to buy a pet from a pet store, but this lady does it repeatedly - keeps them for a while then gives them away, she only had Chloe for a few days when she decided that her older dog didn't like her - having known the lady now for about 7 years (when I got Chloe) I have seen this pattern in her, she's bought at least 4 or 5 other pups and given them away in the past 7 years. I was fortunate (and blessed) with Chloe - she's been very healthy - I think her breeder just doesn't like being bothered with selling puppies - I have spoken with the wife of the breeder. Chloe's sire's name is Clearwater Valley Dinky - and I think her dam is Miss Old Peggy or something like that - would have to look on her certificate - no she's not AKC - but she IS my heart. She has never been bred - in fact, she was spayed before she ever had a chance to go into heat. She was too small to breed - my only male then was Romeo - who is over twice Chloe's size (and was from the beginning). I'll see if I can find the name of Chloe's breeder - when I have a little more time - they DO live in Idaho, but can't remember just where.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts