Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

My apologies for not contributing to BW for awhile. Life's been pretty busy but Oreo and I are doing pretty well.

I was wondering what branded treats you feed your goggies. I was feeding Oreo an occasional milkbone for a while but stopped once I actually looked at the ingredient list; just seemed like it had too much in the way of non-meat and processed ingredients.

I give him a hip & joint treat from Authority Brand (which has meat as the first ingredient and very little overly processed stuff) everyday but was just curious if anyone would disagree with my assessment of milkbone? It is a long-time successful brand after all - so maybe I'm over-thinking?

I promise some gratuitous pics of Oreo once I get home from work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have to admit that I've never read the ingredients list for MilkBones because I've never bought it. It always seemed a bit too commercial and mass-produced for me. So I never bothered.

For treats, I give my beagles dessicated liver or I make my own - lean ground chuck or turkey or chicken, which I roll into tiny balls and freeze individually myself. seems to be a bit more holistic in my opinion.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel turns his nose up at the Milkbone-like doggie treats his vet offers and I suspect they are higher quality than the over-the-counter brand. Bagel thinks a slice of steak or prime rib, or his own burger for Mickey Dees is a proper beagle treat.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It's funny, I can find all kinds of dog food comparisons online, but I can't find anything for dog treats specifically. I've been wondering what is best myself. My boyfriend and I usually get Nutro brand treats, plus most anything from the Greenies brand (plus carrots and occasional bones). I've never tried Milk-Bone or similar treats for my dogs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally Posted By: bobThe Bagel turns his nose up at the Milkbone-like doggie treats his vet offers and I suspect they are higher quality than the over-the-counter brand. Bagel thinks a slice of steak or prime rib, or his own burger for Mickey Dees is a proper beagle treat.
*snickers* and here I thought I was the only one who went through the McD's drive-through for food that wasn't meant for me ... LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Maggie's very picky, and doesn't care for a lot of dog treats. But she will eat milkbones, soI buy the small ones, break them in half (so she thinks she's getting two) and give her one a day. Other treats I give her include small slices of cheese or thinly sliced hot dog. I used to buy the Authority Hip & Joint treats for my previous beagle, and she loved them. Maggie won't touch them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It is good to hear from you and am glad that you and Oreo are doing well. Most, if not all, of the 100% human grade dog food lines have treats as well. Natura who produces Innova and Evo foods have a wonderful line of treats by Mother Nature. Here is the website:

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/mother-nature.asp

Maggie's favorite used to be the carrot cake biscuits. If you use the same thought process picking treats that you would use for dog foods -- natural ingredients, no grains, etc., you'll do fine.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
my dog HATES milkbones, hates beggin strips, and hates puporoni, i think he can tell its over processed its weird because i thought ALL dogs loved those but...not my beagle, my old dogs did tho. We've had to stick to dehydrated chicken and real meat thinly sliced etc. etc. Usually we treat with cheerios.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We use the Alpo Squares for the boys and an occassional soft treat. but basically it's green beans one day and baby carrots the next. Cobi has about 6 lbs to lose and Casie has to find 6 lbs...so between the two we are getting there. I used to make dog food for Chipper, but that was so much work, I spent more time making his food that family food,and sometimes it looked better. I have a cookbook with doggie treat recipes in it, if you'd like some. PM me....

Cathy J

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just wanted to say. I have a full box of milk bones. The 2 times I gave domino a milk bone he had really bad diarrhea. I stick to carrots, wholesome peanut butter treats from a boutique store woofgang bakery around here. I also do the puperoni sticks. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've almost completely stopped giving Milk Bones or other doggie biscuits - entirely too much wheat and JUNK - and too many cause the dogs to have poopsies. Not fun with 10 beagles (yes, I said, ten - Romeo came home to me last night). Treats here now are pretty much limited to baby carrots, THINLY sliced hot dogs, or tiny cubes of cheese. One of my clients gets a 2-# box of cheese in her commodity delivery every month - and she gives me what she doesn't need or use. I just cut a baggie full into TINY cubes for special treats - or I use cheerios.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: momtothreebeagles
*snickers* and here I thought I was the only one who went through the McD's drive-through for food that wasn't meant for me ... LOL!!!

The folks know the Bagel is coming to the Drive-in window - the person who takes money a second window doesn't handle food and always strokes the Bagel. She knows the Saturday order for a Double cheeseburger hold-the-bun and no onions is for the Bagel. I think they look forward to his coming!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Java loves strawberries, apples, carrots, peanut butter and ice. Come to think of it, I don't remember him NOT liking anything edible. For training treats, I use an apple Nutro treat and freeze dried liver. He doesn't go bonkers for milkbone or similar treats, but he'll still gobble it up.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Gah, we got shown a 12 year old hockey puck of a burger and I was never able to eat a fast-food burger again, let alone feed it to Menolly. :p

When it comes to treats Menolly will eat about anything except green veggies. I can't really afford to spend dosens of dollars on treats when I already spend a lot on dog food. I have been feeding her the generic brand of milk-bones (same ingrediants), but this Christmas I want to hop back on the homemade treat bandwagon.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My dogs love snuasages(they only get maybe 1 a week)and i was trying to think of something a bit more healthier especially since Kass is overweight and i seen your ideas of baby carrots and so far 2/3 dogs like them i have not been able to see if Kass likes them since he was busy when i got the carrots out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
my toby loves milkbone filet mignon flavor! not the biscuits but the meat type. the ingredients dont look too bad either. i just break them into a couple of pieces when i give it to him. anyone else

1 - 20 of 20 Posts