Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think???
is it a good thing to do?
what kind of "trauma" does this put your lil pup through if any??

·
Registered
443 Posts
OH DEFINITELY YES! I have had both of mine done and it does give you a bit of reassurance knowing that if your Beag does get away from you, they will be returned. As far as trauma - it is usually done at a regular vet visit - for example it can be done when you take your Beag in for it's routine vaccinations. The chip itself is no bigger than a grain of rice - and I remember it was embedded as if the vet is giving an injection - right between the shoulders on the back. The dog usually feels nothing more than it would when given a shot.

Oh, sometimes it is done when the dog is being spayed/neutered - just for convenience sake - not because the dog needs to be anesthetized.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I don't think it is a traumatizing experience at all. I had my other dog microchipped and it basically brought him back home to me after 4 days of being lost. It didn't bother him at all when he was shot with the chip, wagging his tail the whole time.

If you are concerned about it being painful for the puppy, you can wait until you get the pup fixed and they do it while he/she is under. They don't feel a thing!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Have to do it. It can't be any more traumatic than having your Beag "fixed". The payback comes if your Beag gets away and is returned because of the chip.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Have to agree with the other posters! All ten of mine are microchipped. The needle is a little larger than the one used for vaccines - and the babies usually "yelp" once then it's over - and, while it probably hurts ME more than it does them, it's over in a second and you have peace of mind for a lifetime. My vet usually does it when they get their final puppy shots. I can't tell you how many ID tags have been lost with my pack. I have one little guy who manages to chew collars off - and the tags are lost! At least I know if their ID tag isn't on them, they CAN be identified.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great! thanks so much for your input - i really didn't know much about it. Good to know that its a common procedure!
and ya getting it done during the spaying is a good idea too - may as well!!!
then I'LL only have to go through the pain once as opposed to twice haha - for sure more painful for me :p
thanks again /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
DO IT!
We had Abby micro chipped at the AKC's responsible pet ownership day for either $20.00 or $25.00 and the peace of mind is worth it!! Plus, she didn't even yelp when they inserted it, which they did with a syringe, into the tuff of fur around her neck. It was over in like 30 seconds and worked right away!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
When at home Summer and Murphy do not wear collars, so if they escape... So, both of them have AVID chips. Murphy actually has two. He was initially chipped prior to his back injury. Due to the surgery, the first one shifted and is now near his upper foreleg. The vet found it, contacted AVID, and AVID paid for the rechip because where it was located would not be found during a normal scan.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy is getting microchipped on May 6th, and they're just going to go ahead and do it while she's under anesthesia from getting spayed.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yep, though we haven't had Duke done yet, we plan to do it at his next check up and shots, which is a few months away.

My vet only charges like $25, which is SO cheap for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya the vet that i'm planning on going to charges $47 for the implant and then you have to send another 10 away to the company :S wish it was cheaper! but i'm sure its worth it!
they said they usually do it during vaccines....
i think i'd sooner have it done during her spaying procedure. hm.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
P.S - got an email from my breeder yesterday that Snoopy went to her first vet check up and passed with FLYING COLOURS! and that the vet was very impressed by what excellent shape she was in. is it weird that that made me cry a little???? hahahaha
so cute! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif 16 days to go....

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We had both of ours done, aged 5, and they didnt notice it. Just like getting a vacine. For some countries including the UK its a must or they wont let the dog in.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote: Murphy actually has two. He was initially chipped prior to his back injury. Due to the surgery, the first one shifted and is now near his upper foreleg. The vet found it, contacted AVID, and AVID paid for the rechip because where it was located would not be found during a normal scan.
Willow's chip has moved its now in her right shoulder. I never thought of contacting the chipping Co to se if she can be re-chipped. We were talking about re-chipping her later in the year as one of the shows we go to is sponsered by The UK KC and they offer chipping @ £10=$20 so we will get her re-chipped then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts