Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for posting another post regarding metal smell , but it's not answered, could you read my bottom post on metal smell, and regarding metamucil??????

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I haven't used it for Maggie but have read in other places that it is OK to use for dogs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I haven't used it either but, it is mostly psyllium fibre which is also found in some dog foods. Therefore, I would suspect that metamucil is pretty safe. However, I would look for the original as some of the newer flavors contain sugars, aspartame, artificial flavorings and dyes that may not sit well with your dog. The original will have the least and simplest ingredients and do the job just as well, if not better.

Also keep in mind that an adult serving is one or two teaspoons in a full glass of water per day, comparatively speaking that's alot for your dog unless he's as big as you.
Adjust the dose for his size.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
if its fiber you want, i'd just add pumpkin to the pups' food. there are also many other fiberous food addetives you can do that are more on the natural side. In my mind i dont see why it wouldn't work tho i know metamucil does crackers now too i'd probably just do that instead of the powder, give them a little metatmucil cracker.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just don't get this whole anal thing, I thought metatmucil would make poo more runny? Charlie does go to the bathroom half hour or so after he eats, and it's normal, why would he be so backed up if he poops?????? I'm so confused on this whole thing, anyhoooooo, I will get pumpkin instead I think, how much should I give him, how often????? arghhh, I don't even understand how I can make him better with the anal gland thing if I don't personally see it, nor know what to look for, other than later down the line him smelling like metal *tear* I just want to be a good mum and not have this problem again!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: BeagleWeegleI just don't get this whole anal thing, I thought metatmucil would make poo more runny?
I don't even understand how I can make him better with the anal gland thing if I don't personally see it, nor know what to look for, other than later down the line him smelling like metal.
After reading your reply, I looked it up, since (for whatever reason) I never really thought about the why of increasing the fiber before, and you made me curious
This explanation seems to make a lot of sense.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659+1664&aid=1179

1 - 7 of 7 Posts