Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here it comes. Tomorrow morning I'm dropping my baby off to get fixed.
Since it's been 8 years since I've gone through this and the last time I had a bad experience (dog stayed up moaning all night because they wouldn't give her any pain meds at all), I'm very nervous.

How long will it be before the incision heals? Will she need an Elizabethan collar? When can I feed her again? Any tips to make her more comfortable?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Don't worry, mainly because Menolly will pick up on that.
They will give her pain meds and she might be sore a little but not too much.
She might need the collar, all depends how much attention she will give the sutures. Chloe didn't need one, but I was with her the entire healing time.
The sutures will heal within 10 days. Just give her her space, make sure she drinks (even if it only a tiny sip) after coming home and mainly: MAKE SURE SHE DOESN'T JUMP OR RUNS AROUND BEING A LITTLE DEVIL FOR THE FIRST FEW DAYS.

·
Registered
650 Posts
She's going to be fine, just a bit woozy 'til in the morning. The biggest challenge, as Chloe's Mommy said, is making sure she takes it easy while the incision heals.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips!

Well, we just dropped her off at the vet's. I'm not too worried- two seconds after she met the guy who was going to take her in the back, she started licking his face.

What's going to be weird is going around the house today without the dog following me around. It's going to be a LOOONG day....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Menolly is home safe and sound now. The surgery, I'm told, went very well. Unfortunately she had an enlarged uterus from her heat so they charged extra for that...most of it was covered by the voucher, but if they hadn't taken off the pain meds, I wouldn't have been able to pay it with what I have now. (they had to cancel both CareCredit and payment plans due to the economy)

Although she's doing pretty good, she's definately hurting. We can't give her any meds tonight, but does anyone know of pain medication that is safe for dogs?

·
Registered
472 Posts
They didn't send her home with meds? All I know of is doggy aspirin and I know you can get it at petco. I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meds weren't covered by the voucher and at this hospital they're optional. :p The entire surgery would have been covered by the voucher if it were't for her enlarged uterus. As it was, the voucher covered just enough so that I had to use the money I was going to use for the meds to cover the rest.

Doggy asprin? Thanks! I'll look into that today. There's a Petco just down the road a few miles.

We were both able to get some sleep last night. I began by putting her 'bed' (an old, thick, folded-up blanket) right next to mine so she could be close. I played soft music to help both of us. I slept on and off; not sure about her. When I woke up the second time I discovered she'd actually climbed into my bed! Poor thing! She was so used to it it probably felt wrong to sleep somewhere else. I didn't put her back down, as I knew she'd only climb back up. Now I'm glad I've got a really low bed.

She seems to be okay this morning, I imagine she's VERY hungry, as they didn't let her eat yesterday (major abdominal surgery, ugh). All she could have for water yesteday were ice cubes since her stomach was pretty sensitive. Today she can have regular water and food. She's also restricted to the leash and from the outdoors except to go to the bathroom.

Thanks for all the well wishes! Menolly appreciates them, as do I.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It sounds like she did really well last night and your taking great care of her. Keep us updated:)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't get the extra charge for an enlarged uterus, I mean, what's the difference? they take it out anyway. That's not the first time I hear of that, and it's still strange in my eyes.

I hope Menolly is not hurting anymore, or at least that the pain subsided. Did the doggy aspirin help?

Gentle hugs to her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad Menolly's doing okay today. I wasn't aware of the extra charge for an enlarged uterus, but maybe that's because it's something I haven't had to deal with.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Glad to hear Menolly's doing better today! I'll bet by tomorrow she'll be almost back to normal. The hardest part is trying to limit their activity once they start feeling better. Good luck with that!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As it turns out by late tomorrow morning she wasn't hurting much at all. She's eaten, drank, gone outside, and even begged for a walk. Due to her restrictions I can't walk her till the end of the week.
Poor baby! Outside is her life.

Everyone's practically been spoiling her.
She's been sleeping mostof the time and, as long as someone lifts her up, she's allowed on the couch because it's nice and warm in the family room and the bedroom is a little cold. Everyone leans in to see how she's doing every few hours and calls her a little troper. Even my nephew! We told him to be careful, because she's got an 'owie'; and he gave her the gentlest little hug and kiss!

I imagine it's because a larger uterus is trickier to manage...*shrugs*. Which is why they keep encouraging people to spay the animals before they go into heat.... Even with the extra charge, it was less there than the other places, and they did a really good job on her. They were WAAAY more up front about possible charges and exactly how much they were than the last place I went. The staff is nice and they've had really good reveiws, so I'm going to go back. She has an appointment to get the stitches out on the 24th.

This morning she's doing almost perfect! She woke up in an excellent mood and made a beeline for the back door. The biggest challenge is, as you guys have said, not letting her overdo it. Thank goodness she's leaving the stitches alone (for now...)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Good to hear Menolly is doing well. Keep an eye on those stitches; Dr. Bones tried to remove both hers and Spock's after their respective spay and neutering.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts