Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To understand what happened, here's the story:

My dad has Sleep Apnea. It's when several times a night, your brain actually wakes you up because for a few seconds you stop breathing. He has to wear a breathing mask every night so he can sleep.

When I got home I found out from my mom that Menolly took dad's mask out in the backyard and destroyed it.
Mom said Dad hit the roof and smacked Menolly.
I can honestly understand why he was so mad, but hitting my dog is not allowed. (Dad had an extra, so I won't have to replace it)

I'm mad now. I don't know what to do. We can't get any of that bitter apple stuff until my next check gets here next month, and if I'm away at school all day I can't be constantly watching her.

I haven't talked to Dad yet.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Well, number one he shouldn't have smacked her. She won't understand what she did especially if he didn't catch her in the act. Two, even though she shouldn't have done it he probably shouldn't have left it within her reach. Daisy destroyed my camera's SD card this weekend when I left it for 2 seconds to go into the kitchen.

I do think I'd apologize to your Dad and offer to pay him if he wants to buy another extra. I would also explain that hitting Menolly is not tolerated.

Daisy liked the bitter apple spray, so you might want to see if PetSmart will let you test them with Menolly somehow. If they won't, then keep your receipt and you can return it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree with Aliesha. Menolly didn't understand why she was hit, and only perceived the act as frustration - why? she doens't know. I'm sure you know that, and it hurts you to know that's what your dad did. You should apologize and explain. Note before him that it's most likely she will learn to fear him, and I'm sure he doesn't want that (nor do you). Also, let the others who live in the house know that they can't leave their things around within Menolly's reach, as she WILL chew on them and destroy everything. Not to mention she is a puppy, at her age - it's teething time.

Do you crate her? I think that maybe during the time when you're not home, she can stay in her crate. It shouldn't be too difficult for her if there are people around for most of the day.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I agree. Crating Menolly during the day might be the best idea. And you should apologize to your dad and offer to at least help buy a new one. (When Shiloh was a baby and in her chewing phase I had to replace a pair of glasses and I don't know how many bras!) But I would also try to make your dad understand that punishing Menolly, unless he caught he in the act, only frightened and confused her. And that hitting her is not allowed and will make her scared of him. Explain that she is a puppy and puppies are gonna chew anything they can find, especially if it has the scent of one of their humans on it. Tell him that many of your friends at Beagle World have had to learn the hard way to keep things out of puppies' reach. Good luck, and I hope Menolly is okay.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You know, I've gone through a lot of puppies here - and if I'm stupid enough to leave something laying around where they can get it, it's MY fault, not the puppy's. Unfortuntately, I have some very creative beagles, and they manage to get things down from VERY high places. That's why when I'm not here to supervise them, they get crated until they're old enough to know better. Bella is 2 and Angel is 1 and they are still in their little house (which they share) when I'm at work and at night. They don't think of it as punishment because that's where they go for treats, and for meals. Years ago, I would have said that crating a dog was cruel - but now I'm a firm believer in crating. I agree your dad shouldn't have smacked her - it doesn't do any good to punish them if you don't catch them in the act - besides, it doesn't WORK - and just serves to make her frightened and confused. I agree, she is a puppy - and puppies chew and sometimes they CHEW for a long time! Work on training dad to keep things up out of her reach.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trouble is he knows this stuff already-he forgets.

I have apologized, but I can't buy him a new one because he gets them through the VA; they pay for it.

The door to Mom and Dad's bedroom is staying closed, now, so that should help.

I really don't want to crate her when people are here. My family still isn't used to having a puppy around again, and would probably forget to let her out for potty breaks. They don't see the use of a crate when people are home either, since it's easier to just let her use the doggie door (no accidents inside for two weeks now, BTW). Besides that, my nephew has been playing with the crate, and there's nothing to keep him from opening the door to let her out anyway. Padlocks scare me to death because that would delay the time it takes to get her out if there was an emergency like a fire; and the crate is very difficult to carry through doorways.

If no one was home, then I wouldn't have any problem crating her. But as long as people are home, I feel like I can't. We'll just have to keep things out of her reach.

·
Registered
185 Posts
How much time does menolly spend outside? I noticed from your pics of her that you have a nice n high privacy fence. Why not let her out there a bit while ppl are home? Luigi loves it outside, even with an itty bitty yard like we have. I put him out there and he rarely complains. It's a bit of a balancing act determining how long to leave him out there, because he needs his ppl time, but with a nice enclosed yard like yours, menolly can go out, zoom around and come in and maybe not do as many mischeivious things as she's a bit more tired than she would be otherwise...

·
Registered
250 Posts
i know the exact feeling im in school right now and diesel stays home with my brother who does not have school yet... here is everything i do

1. keep all doors closed
2. everything you dont want chewed up better be somewhere out of reach or in your room with the door shut
3. i used baby gates A LOT. especially when we had something spilled and didnt want to close a door cause it smelled worse
4. set up some rules and try to get everyone to follow them
(which can be hard but it will work over time)

so now in my house if you leave your shoes out and diesel gets to them then its your fault(not mine) since you left them out you are responsible. this also keeps the house cleaner cause no one wants to leave anything out for him to get...

5. disel LOVES bones. i always have one around and i have tought him how to carry it around with him. all i tell him is get your bone so he goes and finds it and chews it for a while..

diesel has got countless shoes
also one pair of perscription glasses of my moms and one of my dads too...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Baby gates, baby gates and more baby gates. We are down to two now, but at one point, I was using four. I got them cheap at Target, only like $10.99. As mean as this sounds, anything that Menolly gets into and destroys is not her fault. It's the fault of whoever left their stuff where she could get it. I had to clear the bottom two shelves of my bookshelves, put up babygates to all rooms and closets where Jersey didn't belong and kept my ironing board up for months just to have a place to keep stuff where Jersey couldn't reach it. I could never get mad at her if I left a book or shoes or whatever within her reach. And trust me, I left plenty of stuff within her reach. I know it's easy to be forgetful when you first get a dog. Heck, you guys have a two year old in your house! You should be used to having to keep things up and out of reach.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, it doesn't sound mean. It sounds perfectly acceptable- and true! I keep telling everyone to keep thier doors shut and/or put their stuff away, but it's like pulling teeth. It's been 8 years since there was a puppy in the house and everyone just forgot.

Luigi- yes, we have put her outside quite a few times. We're doing it while we're eating now, and whenever my nephew has a snack (she LOVES stealing his food; worse, he thinks it's funny!). My brother had her outside for most of the day yesterday- with half her toys-, but she found something else to chew; the feeder line for the swamp cooler. It sprayed water everywhere and she ended up playing in a mud puddle (bathtime #4 and counting!).

I've got a few hours before my first class today, so I'm going to do a little more shopping. My dad MADE a baby gate for her, but we forgot to get the hardware to mount it in a doorframe. I'd told him I wanted more than one, but---! Also it's kind of hard to go buy baby gates when I ride the bus.

I'm thinking we may need to take down the sound system (boy is Dad going to hate that!). She's chewed through the wires on the entire right side so many times it's almost all electrical tape. The cover on the loose ones did no good at all; she ripped up the adheisive and chewed that, too! I may need to tell Dad that if he wants to keep the Sound system and not have to replace it, he'll have to put it away; at least until she's done teething.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts