Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys! Sorry it's been a while. School has been murder.

Here's an update on Menolly:

She is now six months old, but due to a late check her spay will have to wait.
*prays that the heat holds off for a while* Dad gets a 75% discount on any animals in his family where he works, so I'm taking Menolly there from now on. It's the best vet in the entire High Desert. Plus, it's only five minutes away.

She's doing well in her obediance training; she does 'sit', 'sit pretty', and even 'stay' like an old pro now. 'down' she still needs work on, though. We go for regular walks now, but her destructive streak continues. Dad went and bought some 'all-natural' chew deterrent without asking me or testing it on her first, and she chews right past it.
The lowest foot of the front blinds are completely gone, and several VHS boxes have also fallen victim. I got her a few news rubber toys since she disemboweled all of her stuffed ones, but evidently she likes fabric better.

The minute I get my check I'm going to get her fixed. In the meantime, I'm praying the she doesn't come into heat before that...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Carrie, it might be better to wait until <span style="text-decoration: underline">after</span> her first heat. I know my vet recommends that. At least as long as she's confined and you know there's no danger of a male getting to her.
Just a thought!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
All of the vets I know and talked to recommend exactly the opposite of what Glenda wrote. They claim that when spaying before the heat, the chances of different illnesses (including cancer) are reduced greatly.
It won't be the end of the world if she gets her first heat before her surgery, but if you get the check by then - great.

How about some pictures of the little girl?

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
If she does happen to go into heat before you can spay her, just keep a close eye on her until you're sure the heat is over. Many years ago our poodle Misty went into her first heat before we spayed her, and I thought the heat was over before it actually was. That's how we wound up with oops puppies!
What is the difference between sit and sit pretty? I bet she's really cute doing her tricks!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My vet also recommends spaying before first heat. She said it clamps down a bit on aggression, and it can help reduce the risk of breast cancer.

And I agree with Eleanor.....we need pics!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would if I had a camera! That will have to wait until I get the check, too.

But in the meantime, here are some videos. They're kind of old, but with as busy as I've been, I haven't been able to get them up until now. Later I'll post one of her training videos.

Menolly's Bath

Menolly versus Artoo

·
Registered
400 Posts
Menolly is adorable. You did a fantastic job editing the videos too

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Sounds like Menolly is doing well except for all the chewing. Daisy is a chewer too but fortunately she tends to stick to her things.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Those videos are great Carrie! Her training is going great! Good job to you both. And Menolly is so beautiful. Of course, I do have a soft spot for those lemon beags! I absolutely love her ears. I just wanted to reach out and rub them...they look so soft. She reminds me a lot of Jersey, not just in her colors, but the way she tilts her head...that soft expression...she's gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah I forgot; she's grown like a little weed! At last measure she now weighs 20 pounds 6 oz and stands 13 and 5/8 inches tall! :O Yes, this is accurate. I checked both stats three times each. She's probably going to be a hair over 14 inches when she's grown up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts