Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I had a bit of trouble working out how to post on here... DOH!!

Jeremy is now 3 months old, we got him when he was 8 1/2 weeks. He's been an amazing little bundle of joy. He was peeing and pooping on his toilet tray within a few days, he hasn't had any pee accidents in the house since he turned 10 weeks. He does sometimes slightly miss the tray with his poops, I think that this might be because he's getting bigger and his bum hangs off. He does sometimes eat his poop too, he was sneaking off for a cheeky afternoon poop on the terrace, hidden away so that he could snaffle it.. I thought that this was because we might have been underfeeding him a bit. I couldn't work out the instructions on the Royal Canin bag. My husband and I were both giving him more than we thought we should, but I think that it was still less than he should have been having. I've had severe guilt attacks about this... We're now weighing out his food so we know he's getting enough.

He's now not sneaking off for a cheeky poop, but will still eat it sometimes if I'm not quick enough to clean it up straight away... by quick enough I mean about 5 seconds after his done it. I've been reading up on how to stop them eating it and one suggestion was to cover it in hot sauce - I'm sure that this is meant to put them off from eating it.. well it worked in a way, but not the way expected. Jeremy just licked off the hot sauce, I suppose that the good thing was that he didn't eat the poop, but now has a penchant for sriracha. Yesterday he had 4 poops that he left and only ate part of one. He's got the cleanest teeth of any pup around as I brush them every time after the poop eating. I tried feeding him butternut squash last night as the taste of that in their poop isn't meant to be very nice.. he's one poop in and didn't eat it.. mainly because I cleaned it up straight away and he didn't get the chance to.

We had a bit of a hard time getting him to go to sleep for the first few weeks. He would cry loads as soon as we put him in his crate, even when it was in our bedroom. He worked out how to escape from it on night one when we had it in the hallway outside our room. We then set up a pen for him in the front room with the crate in it and the door open so he could go to the toilet in his tray during the night. Every time he woke up he'd still cry though and this is not the sort of cry that you can ignore, he's loud when he gets going. He also worked out how to escape from the pen by climbing the sides. We've now got the pen in our mezzanine kitchen with a lid on it for bedtime and he's really happy, he'll actually put himself to bed now and sleeps right through till about 7:30 am. He's sound asleep now.

He does get severe separation anxiety if we leave the room during the day, obviously at the moment it's quite easy for one of us to be with him at all times, but I'm worried about when lockdown is over and we will have to leave him at some points. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated. He's also a bit excitable when he's playing, he likes attacking everything - including you if you're playing. I need to find some calmer games for him to play, any suggestions here would be greatly received too. :)

Training wise he'll sit on command, but he can't master lay down. Best thing to train him with has been pieces of carrot. 馃
Here's Jeremy:

e16b266c-3c5c-4c13-9550-10c8139a5340.jpg

xx

Registered
Oh I love the pic of him baying - and got a good chuckle at him having a penchant for sriracha! Best laid plans :)

Welcome!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone,

he is super cute. He鈥檚 really placid when it鈥檚 not playtime & Is not phased by anything. Doesn鈥檛 mind his claws being trimmed or bath time and loves being held. He鈥檚 just been for his second injections so walks soon... I don鈥檛 know who鈥檚 more excited about it.
Here鈥檚 a link to a vid of him showing off his sit & stay skills.

http://instagr.am/p/B_4bGqkHFbI/

Registered
Welcome..very cuuute!
First of all why is your dog peeing/pooping on a tray in the house? DO you have any yard? Before I make suggestions that would be helpful give some idea of your house situation.
To get your dog to go down try this...put a tasty little treat near his nose then bring it straight down to the floor while saying "down"..the dog will surely follow the treat in a down direction..then praise.good boy! Repeat...hold the treat at the floor until he goes down. It will get easier over time. Try to incorporate a hand signal too. All i do now is show my palm going down and my dog will flatten herself.
Now..the best for last...the poop eating discussion...lol. it has nothing to do with being hungry or not getting fed enough. Dont bother getting food additives that claim to prevent it like "Forbid".. its expensive and slimply doesnt work nor does spinach, pineapple, or hot sauce as you saw. They just do it... no one on this forum likes to discuss it.."not my dog..."..heehee
If you think your dog is going to poop get a poop bag ready or paper towel and be there to beat the dog from getting to it before you. Believe me when I say I can sprint across a yard to get to it first. Your dog is NOT the only one..ohmnnn...
Here's my sonetime poop eater...

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Look at that face... this is definitely not the face of a poop eater... Butter wouldn鈥檛 melt!! 鉂 Ha!! I鈥檓 glad it鈥檚 not just mine. My friend has a working cocker/cockerpoo he鈥檚 4 now and he eats every type of poop he can find, but not his own. I鈥檓 hoping Jeremy isn鈥檛 the same.

We live in an upstairs apartment. We have a roof terrace so he can run around, but definitely don鈥檛 want him using it as his toilet. We do have a garden too, but it鈥檚 covered in pebbles & When we took him down there he ate a load of pebbles the moment he was put on the floor. We rent so we can鈥檛 change the garden.

With down, as soon as his nose goes down following the treat, his bum goes up. Will keep practicing.

The weird thing about the poop eating is that it鈥檚 not all the time. This morning he鈥檇 had one overnight & it was all there this morning not touched. Yet yesterday afternoon he went off & hid on the terrace for a cheeky one so he could eat it in private...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts