Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you give your dogs bones? IE pork chop bones, steak? And if so, at what age did you start?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Years ago we used to give our dogs all types of bones. One of them upchucked after a few chicken bones-it looked like a hand full of splintered wood.

Since then we've never given them any bones.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A friend of ours is a hunter so we have given Winston game bones. We started him at about 6 months. They are a real treat as we don't allow them in the house due to the hardwood flooring. We also gave them to him frozen or partly frozen, which I think he liked because at 6 months of age all that teething stuff is starting to shift gears and the cold must have felt good.
I don't give him cooked bones of any kind.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You should never ever feed cooked bones because they do splinter and that's what dogs choke on.

However dogs evolved to eat RAW meaty bones and they are exceptionally good for them
My dogs eat raw bones every day. I feed a variety, including but not limited to:

- chicken wings/legs/frames/necks
- turkey wings/necks
- lamb shanks/forequarters/necks/flaps
- beef bones
- various other off cuts including raw fish (sardines, mackerals, salmon heads/carcasses)

We feed raw bones from the day we get our pups home, so starting from eight weeks
Although I know many a breeder who has their pups eating raw bones well before then (6 weeks+).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I remember we used to give Indy raw bones from the butcher as a treat but I don't remember having given him any other kinds....this was quite a while ago as he passed in'03.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Rocky is our boyThanks guys! I remember we used to give Indy raw bones from the butcher as a treat but I don't remember having given him any other kinds....this was quite a while ago as he passed in'03.
Try him on some raw chicken wings or frames and see how he goes
White meat is a good place to start.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have fed my dogs a raw diet for about 10 years. You can feed any kind of bone, including pork bones, <span style="font-weight: bold">as long as they are raw.</span> Cooked bones are brittle and will splinter. Raw bones may look sharp to us, but they are actually relatively soft, and well tolerated by a dog.

There is a difference between giving your dogs raw bones as a treat/busymaker and feeding raw. If you intend to switch to a raw diet, please do some research. It's not rocket science, but you do have to understand the basics of giving your dog a balanced diet. Some good books are available...I recommend books by Kymythy R. Schultze and Dr. Richard Pitcairn. Also worth the read is a book by Dr. Ian Billinghurst. That's the first one I read. It is not particularly well written, and can seem a little over the top, but the fundamental message is what convinced me to switch to a raw diet.

I will add that I am not really picky about meeting any specific measurements, and pretty much ignore supplements. Just like humans, a diet of fresh and varied foods is what keeps us and our dogs healthy. The most important thing you have to pay attention to if you feed your dog a raw diet is the balance of calcium to phosphorus. That balance is naturally present in 'raw meaty bones'.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My dogs love their raw bones. They get all different kinds because they are on the RAW diet also. Pork bones are ok as long as they are raw.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My dogs also got raw soup bones regularly before I switched to RAW and they too never had plaque/dental problems. I think its a great idea to give them to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts