Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,ever since we switched Diva's food from Nutro Max to Natural Balance her stool has become alot softer and what looks like more of it, unless it looks like more because of it's softness. We did the change over a two week period so i don't think that would be it.From my understanding it should be less poop and smaller, right? any suggestions?

·
Registered
889 Posts
We had a similar problem when we switched our pups to Blue Buffalo. We ended up switching them again to Innova Evo and haven't had any trouble.

It may be that Diva just needs time to adjust, or it may be that her body just doesn't do well on that particular food.

·
Registered
106 Posts
brands do differ from country to country so i'd like to ask which is the better quality food where you are, Nutro Max or Natural Balance?

Doing more/larger stools could mean that Diva is not absorbing all the nutrients and not getting everything she needs from the food, but at the same time it could not be a bad thing.
Are the suggested serving amounts the same on both brands packaging? Maybe if the new food is higher quality, it actually requires you to feed less while you have maintained the same amount, that would mean alot of the food is not required by Diva so she passes extra...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dinoz you make alot of sense, Natural balance is the better food but we haven't realized that we are feeding the same amount. Feeding guidelines for N.B. for a 5-15lbs puppy is 1 - 2 cup a day and when we were feeding nutro max puppy we were feeding 1 cup a day. Diva is on the smaller size so maybe we should feed 2/3 - 1 cup a day, does that sound right?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I hardly ever go by the recommended feeding guidelines - I go by what the Beaglebratz tell me; that is not what they really want me to do (if I did that, I'd be feeding them 24/7). Rather I go mainly by what their bodies are telling me - do they look a good weight? Are their coats shiny? Are they energetic? And since Natural Balance is a better quality food then you do need to be feeding less. And you are going to feed a 5 lb. puppy a little less than a 15 lb. puppy. If Diva is closer to 5 or maybe 10 lbs. then she would need less than a 15 lb. - but make sure that it is N.B. for puppies - puppy food has a little more to it then adult food for growing, developing puppies.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i'm not a professional so please only take my advice as a suggestion, but i would stick to whatever the package says so in this case, around the 1 cup mark. you made the change over two weeks so you done it right. i dont think its much to be alarmed over but...

and of course, as mentioned above, the shape of your puppy will be a great guideline to go by

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thank you Dinoz, what you said and after re-thinking what I said, made me realize I need to clarify a couple of things. I am not an expert at this – have raised a few pups although the Beaglebratz are my first Beagles.
Yes, it is critical that you do follow the recommended feeding instructions on the bag because Diva is a puppy – still growing and developing. In most foods, there are added nutrients that aid in this development. So feeding recommendations do need to be followed HOWEVER, after a few months (usually around 8-10) if the puppy is beginning to gain more than it needs, that is when the problems can really show up because it can cause over-development of the bones and can lead to other health problems. Both of mine are now adults and it is almost a daily struggle to keep them at a decent weight (overweight)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
When switching food it is always best to do so gradually as Dinoz has suggested. The instant switch always caused stomach issues with ours.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i guess this is dependant on the dog. due to poor organisation on my part, my new puppy had to go from optimum (at the breeder) straight to hills science diet with me. she showed no diarhea or illness and actually wouldnt eat the optimum when i bought a bag for her 2 days later... but to be safe, blend it in, even if its only over 4 days. e.g.
Day 1 - 25% new, 75% old
Day 2 - 50% new, 50% old
Day 3 - 75% new, 25% old
Day 4 - 100% new diet

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm happy to say that diva has adjusted well, her poop is under control, actually it has decreased, it's like if she's pooping little nuggets on a regular schedule.We love her new food, Natural Balance, she just needed extra time to adjust but the only thing is that she passes some deadly gas....wow it'll knock anyone out..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts