Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm a little frustrated. I took him to the emergency on Fri. He seemed very tired and he would sit and his eyes be half open like zombie like and would yelp if you tried to pick him up. I thought maybe he was hurt because my niece was picking him up earlier. Anyhow the vet said he was perfectly fine but maybe just ate a little too much as he did eat a little more than usual that day and some of my sister's dog food too (he found it). Well today, he was taking his nap and he started shaking and yelped when I tried to get him out. He has been doing well with the housebraking and eating and going potty outside but I just don't understand the shaking and when he just starts being soo tired. Is this normal?? I called the vet and said to keep watching him or make an appointment if I needed to. Just wanting to get more advice before I do. I really don't think it has anything to do w/ his diet (no diarrhea or distended belly)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would say take him to the Vet,it sounds like he is in pain.Shivering can be a sign of pain and being tired does not sound normal.
Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he wasn't doing it yesterday. I would just have to get more testing because his temperature, pulse, gums, joints are fine. He would need to get some blood work. he's like in slow motion, like an old man :-/ but then he'll prolly perk up later. How much are puppies supposed to sleep during the day?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more like shivering

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I would definitely take him in to the vet. My miniature dachshund would shiver when he was in pain with his back. I'm not saying it's Marco's back, but more that it could be a pain indicator.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Shivering can be a sign of pain
Originally Posted By: Marco's mommymore like shivering

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh, I have no advice...just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. Tell us how it goes. Poor little guy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This happened to Arty too! I couldnt figure out what it was.. I would rub him everywhere and he'd be fine, not in pain, but I'd pick him up (gently) and all of a sudden he'd yelp and and howl in pain and sometimes he'd be in so much pain he'd even pee a little and then be shivering/shaking. But then I open the door to go outside and he's out running around like he's okay. He was more tired than usual too but when I took him to the vet he couldnt find anything.

Anyway, long story short, it just kind of went away. Arty's fine now, I have no idea what happened.. I sometimes wonder if maybe he had sprained his tail and i would grab it by accident? i dont know. I hope its nothing with your baby too!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you guys. I've been like crying all morning. He's just not the same at all. Waiting to call for the vet office to open to make an appointment. I really hope it's nothing. I'll get some blood work done. He's like eating ok and no diarrea, but not running or chewing or playing like he used to at all. I cringe when I want to get him out the crate to take him out because I don't want to hear him yelp. It's like when he's outside he walks and can do his own thing. I wonder if it's psycholigical for him. It makes me feel like he's not happy. But he was up to last weekend.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I hope it's nothing too but be sure to tell them all his symptoms. If he yelps when you pick him up it sounds like some kind of physical pain to me rather than psychological. Something clearly is wrong and you know it is but it's hard for the vets to see this as they don't know how he is normally.

I can remember when my pups needed to come out of their crate. As soon as I opened the door they would run out so if you have to physically take him out something doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know, well I had taken him to the emergency vet on fri because I thought it was physical but the vet did all kinds of physical tests and he didn't hurt. I really don't know

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just wondering how Marco is this morning - sending good thoughts and healing prayers.

If you do take him to the vet, ask about some kind of gastrointestinal obstruction - the fact that he yelps when you pick him up and that he seems tired - sounds like something is not right inside.

Prayers for you and Marco

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope all is well with Marco now? Very worrying when a pup is not well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Please keep us updated on Marco. It sounds to me like something internal. Could Marco have swallowed something he shouldn't have? You mentioned no diarrhea, but has he had a normal bowel movement?

I'd be frustrated with the emergency vet on Friday as well; however, I've seen my dogs hide their pain, especially from a vet.

I hope Marco's getting better, whatever it is!

Sylvia

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Maybe a joint injury from being picked up wrong and to much? I would go to the Vet and get him checked.

Healing vibes are headed your way. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleepy.gif

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.