Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to bring another beagle into our home. We have found a male 12 week old puppy we want to adopt. Our beagle now is female, and we were curious if anyone had advice on adopting a new pup. Should they be the same gender? Does it matter? Is there a big difference between males and females? Molly is already fixed...any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have heard that there is a greater chance of two dogs not getting along if both are the same sex - especially if both are female, I believe, or unneutered males - but I have no idea if that is a proven fact or just dog lore... plus beagles are pack animals so I don't know how much credence to put into it for beagles even if it is true. We have three beagles and they were adopted female first, then male, then female and we have never had a problem with them getting along. I think a greater problem than what sex the new arrival was, at least in our case, would have been if we had adopted an active, in-your-face puppy - because our oldest beagle isn't particularly playful and wouldn't have taken kindly to a young puppy being in her face all the time... but our middle beagle would probably have loved a young puppy because he loves to play.

So I really don't think there are any hard and fast rules and I say go for it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have wondered the same thing. We have an 8 month old male neutered beagle and are thinking of getting another one next summer when Boomer is over a year old. According to our breeder, gender does not really matter. We'll likely go with another male and get him fixed when he is old enough.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Whether they get along has nothing to do with their gender. It has everthing to do with the beagles personality.

The first step is to take YOUR beagle to meet the pup and see how it goes. If all goes well, then adopt. The key is what happens at home, on YOUR beagle's turf. If its a new puppy coming home, the older dog usually will accept the newcomer as a pack mate. New older dogs can be more more of a challenge, but they usually work it out (this is know from experience). Just be sure to treat your first dog as the alpha. Not doing so can cause jealousy issues.

FYI: I have one of each, they get along fine. Like brother and sister (so yes, they do fight from time to time).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We have two spayed females in our pack of 4, and 2 neutered males. All get along fine. The only time there's ever any friction between the females is if Li'l Girl tries to sneak a bit of Misty's food. :eyes:

The two males get along fine, too. There's really not a lot of interaction between them. Each just kind of goes his own way.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I currently own 2 females (intact) and 1 male (intact) Beagle and 1 male (neutered) mix. They all get along fine and the 2nd female arrived just a couple of days ago while my first female has 3 week old puppies here in the house. Everything is fine so far.

I think it really just depends on the dog. As long as you do not have an alpha dog and you can remain the alpha yourself...I think you will be fine with either sex.

Our newest female wouldn't be here except that she was severely abused and needs some TLC to hopefully help her become a strong independent dog. She is almost 2 and it is so sad to watch her cower any time you try to pet her or when she hears a noise or anything. Sad, but she has a great home now and that is what is important.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A few things...

Beagletails...why are you dogs still intact? sorry for the ? but im a huge believer that we ALL should get our dogs fixed..there are too many poor shelter dogs out there..maybe you live in an area where there is little risk, just wondering though.

Also I did talk to a breeder the other day who said that she would never have a female beagle...i asked why..she said b/c they are way more stubborn and harder to deal with???? I have never heard this before..doesnt seem the case on this forum though, so i would say if you want a female go for it...

Manda n Snoops

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Pegasus:
A few things...

Beagletails...why are you dogs still intact? sorry for the ? but im a huge believer that we ALL should get our dogs fixed..there are too many poor shelter dogs out there..maybe you live in an area where there is little risk, just wondering though.

Also I did talk to a breeder the other day who said that she would never have a female beagle...i asked why..she said b/c they are way more stubborn and harder to deal with???? I have never heard this before..doesnt seem the case on this forum though, so i would say if you want a female go for it...

Manda n Snoops
Hi

I have three beagles Foxy is spayed, Gwenni is entire as is Caleb - Well we are breeding next year (and we want a new little girl)

Caleb is the only boy and sometimes he is as much trouble as my girls put together. he is chewy barky and clingy. He is a very loving beagle but is totally addicted to me and is my shadow!!!

The girls are more independant and spend all day playing together and exploring but they are as loving and are much more obediant than Caleb. If I have to put them in their crates for meals or bed he always runs off and hides... The girls will dive into their crates on 1st command.

However I do think that all beagles are individuals, they come in all shapes sizes and personalities.

That breeder you mentioned sounded like she was talking out of her ar**.

Mixing beagles is normally easy, they generally like other beagles.

We went to a big BBQ party in the summer at Calebs breeders house and there were losts of other beagles there, inclding some cockers and weimies. Gwenni and Foxy had never met some of these other dogs in their lives yet were fantastic and had a great time. Foxy can be nervous of other dogs yet was fine. Caleb was trying to play with the young puppy boy dogs but he scared them by being too bouncy (no-one has told Caleb he is a big grown up boy now. Little Gwenni-Wiggy enjoyed playing with the other puppies and stealing the bread rolls.

If introducing a new dog do it under supervised controlled conditions. They are generally sociable happy dogs. We have never had a problem

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Just putting in my 2 cents' worth: When we got Miss Shiloh, we had 2 other dogs (poodles) 1 male and 1 female (spayed and neutered). Shiloh and Coco, our boy poodle, got on great from day one--she loved him and mourned him when we had to let him go at age 15. But Misty, our girl poodle, now that was another story! With her and Shiloh it was hate at first sight!! Shiloh would try to take over Misty's bed every time Misty left it, and Misty would hide all Shiloh's toys in an effort to try to get Shiloh to leave, I think. Snapping, snarling disagreements, and some outright fights, happened very frequently and continued until Misty became very old and senile, I'm sorry to say. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif So just from our experience I'd say one of each sex is better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts