Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am searching for a second dog to adopt and it will be a beagle. I recently thought I found one but turned out it found a home before being brought up to VA by the rescue. Anyway, I have a neutered male lab and wondering whether I should worry about whether the newcomer will be male or female? I think that two females can have issues but two neutered males can be ok? Or should I get opposite sex. Thanks for any input, not planning on getting a real youngster, somewhere around 3-6yo.
anne

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We have two spayed females, and two neutered males. The two girls have never had any problems, and the two males get along okay, as a rule. We've had two spayed females at the same time in past days, and they never had any problems, either.

Since we do have the mix, my experience is that it doesn't really make any difference if it's two of the same gender or one of each.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We had one of each with the labs, then we added Duke to the mix and he got along fine with both. After we lost our male lab, we got Violet. She and Duke got along like gang busters from the second they met, but she and Cassie had some issues. Both are spayed. It's been almost 8 months now and they are fine together and have become pals for the most part. None of their fights were ever dangerous or aggressive, just a quick tiff, and it happened less than 6 times total. I think it was mainly jealousy on Cassie's part because she was being a cranky old girl. She's over it now and knows her mommy loves her!

Edited to add: Both our females have actually both been more cuddly than the males and our males have been more independent, doing their own thing. The girls shadow me!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wow...I definitely thinks the girls are more demanding little critters. The boys will go off and entertain themselves, but the girls want to be entertained.

As for mixing or maintaining the same genders...as long as they are spayed and neutered I don't think it would make a difference really. I have 2 females, both intact, and one male that is intact and another male that is neutered. Even with that mix we do not have issues. The intact male will defend his current love interest from the other members of the pack, but it is always a quick charge and a little growl to say stay away from my girl and it is over. We've never had a real fight amongst the pack.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
It seems like it would depend more on individual personality than male/female. I think a meeting of the two dogs is important before adoption and then a careful introduction at home, watching for trouble signs and trying to head it off.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Whatever you choose let them meet before you take the second one home. I like one of each sex. We have Susi and Snoopy who met at the age of 6 and have been devoted ever since. Its also important to have your second one neutered.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm partial to boys. But, then I am the only girl in this house, anyway. Boys are a little more aggressive...protective...yet, it depends on the dog too. I question whether I could bring a spayed girl into the pack now.... so I guess we'll stick with boys.

·
Registered
421 Posts
before the beags we had a lab/shepard male (huge) and a pitt/lab female (avg size) they never fought, rarely played together, but were inseperable snugglers. otherwise, the lab gave the pitt whatever she wanted.
now we have 2 females and it seems all good so far

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
We only have Bazel now but he has spent most of his life with his brother Merlin. Bazel was always the top dog and Merlin knew it. They got along fine with the occasional tussle usually over food. We are now on a wait list for a new puppy and hope to get a female this time so I guess we shall learn how a male/female get along together. That is if we can get a female.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Originally Posted By: beagletailsWow...I definitely thinks the girls are more demanding little critters. The boys will go off and entertain themselves, but the girls want to be entertained.
Exact opposite here. Josie (female) is independent and can keep herself occupied all day/night. Only time she is needy is when she wants to relax with you and scratches your arm to get her a blanket to crawl under. Charlie (male) can't blink his eyes without everyone's full attention. He can last 5 minutes, maybe ten, chewing a bone and then needs you to entertain him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We find our girls much easier to deal with. They're more eager to please, less demanding, don't have to have our attention continuously, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts