Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! I have a male beagle I need to rehome. We are near Detroit. His birthday is February 17, 2019. His is AKC, utd on shots, heart worm medicine, flea medicine, microchipped and neutered. He has to go to a home with no kids, preferable a single male who will hunt him a
nd or make him the center of his world. We are rehoming because he’s bitten my son quite a few times regardless of our attempts to stop this behavior. His bite to my child’s face last week was the last time I could let it go. My son picked him up to take him inside because he was tracking a squirrel and bothering my neighbors, he launched at his face and bit his cheek. I can’t keep him as I have small children at my house very often and I am afraid he will bite a kid that’s not mine and I’ll have to put him down. It’s not fair to him to lock him up when the kids are over as he was locked in a cage for 6 months solid his first year of life. This poor baby came to me at 8 months old, under weight, missing patches of hair because the ants in his cage were eating him, abused, scared and unsure of himself. My mom was the breeder and the people who bought him called her to return him or take him to a shelter. I thought we could be his forever home. We have worked very hard to make him happy and secure. But I can’t break the dominance he feels over anyone but myself. He even bullies my 90 lb German Shepard!!! Because of his past, whoever he is homed with will HAVE to keep him for the rest of his life. He wants to hunt and runs well with my parents’ dogs, but will not let any strange animals in my house. He’s really very sweet with me though. Always wants to be nose to nose when I come home from work. He has it in him to be a great dog. He just needs a single owner without children that will give him the life he deserves. I don’t want to take him to a shelter. I do not want him left in a kennel like that ever again. However, he is kennel trained with us, he’ll willing go in his when we have to leave, but I hate it for him cause he just looks sad. If anyone knows anyone interested in taking on this baby for the rest of his life, please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Very sorry to hear your son was bitten and the challenges you have experienced. Has your dog been through obedience training with a good trainer? Some police/sheriff K9 departments offer great dog training or one of them may agree to training. My dog went through a k9 sheriff class and I recommend it. If you dont mind me saying but from the picture you posted I see your dog is on a sofa.. i wouldnt allow it until that right is earned by good behavior..too much freedom makes them act out. I would restrict his area. Try hand feeding your dog by cuping the food in your hands..as the saying goes..."Dont bite the hand that feeds you". Also keep a leash on the dog even in the house so your dog feels he's under control and at least you have something to grab if he's misbehaving. You didnt ask for suggestions but if you aren't able to rehome dont give up on the dog in the meantime..hope these tips help and feel free to post for more advice..lots of experience here. My dog was a biter but never does it anymore. In any case Cassie says Hi

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
Yikes, yes, a beagle can bite if they are on a scent and someone grabs at them, it's happened here with 2 of my rescues. I hope you can find a good home for him.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You need to give him to a Beagle rescue. It's not his fault he bit your son. Beagles will bite if they are on a scent like Molly's mom said. Mine gets snarly and has snapped at me a few times. I have grandkids in my home and they all know the signs to leave her alone. She doesn't like to be picked up and if in the yard on a scent as well they know to leave her alone. Please do not put him down due to this.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Honesty i think "any" dog will bite if its bothered when it doesn't want to be touched. A neighbor child got bit on her face by an entirely different breed. I think we need to keep in mind all dogs are animals and so not always predictable. We just have to learn what/ what doesnt work.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't know. If a dog bites a kid...well, there are lots of dogs out there that won't. A dog with a previous human child dog bite history is a big liability, regardless of why it bit. Even if it was my fault for setting up that situation...well, I don't know. It's a tough call. If one of my GSDs or Agis (Rottie mix) had done that - I would euth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My puppy, Neo is 15 weeks old now. He has been with us for 8 weeks now. First few weeks he would bite when he got bit too playful (mostly with my kids) or felt threatened. He bit both my kids (9 and 13) and me quite a few times. He was still too young and hadn't completed his vaccinations so I was not able to take him for training classes. I researched online and also corrected(and still correcting) my kids behavior on interacting with Neo. We still have not given him full access inside the home. He sleeps in his crate and has a playpen inside the house and on leash if we are walking him inside the house. Outside he is still in a big playpen area unless he is being supervised. We also make sure that we keep his feeding, playing, sleeping/relaxing schedule consistent. He gets treats for good behavior and ignored royally for tantrums and aggression.
I never had any pet before and got carried away by looking at too many cute puppy videos. Frankly speaking I had no idea what I was signing up for when we got Neo :). He is a cutie but its a lot of work for me.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
@Neo's Mom puppy nipping is a bit different...puppies do bite/nip, with work, that goes away.

The dog discussed about is over 1 year and the puppy biting period should be over - though, I suppose, if it wasn't trained out...

Reactions: Neo's Mom

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 5 month old who I was worried was playing way to rough with the kids in the house and attacking my older smaller dog. I was also worried about having to rehome him and contacted a rescue. They were extremely understanding and informative about the breed when I told them my situation. I would suggest you contact a beagle rescue before deciding on a shelter. I’ve since decided on keeping my rambunctious puppy, but we have adopted a zero tolerance rule on any aggressive play, he is getting a ton of exercise and slowly seems to start understanding what is acceptable play. It is a hard decision you are Faced with, maybe just take your time searching for rescues or the right home for him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts