Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suzi was about a year old when one night I had her outside (we live in an apartment complex) and a pizza delivery guy pulled up in front of the building to take a pizza to one of our neighbors. As he passed us Suzi got a whiff of what he was carrying and she spun around and tried to follow him right up the stairs to the neighbor's apartment. Thank goodness I had her on the leash or she would have followed that pizza right to their dinner table.

When the driver came back down Suzi followed him right to his car. He petted her and gave her a garlic & parmesian bread stick. Ever since, when she spots a car with a sign on the roof, she wants to trot along behind, hoping to get a treat.

Suzi

·
Registered
991 Posts
Boy did that story ring a bell. I could just see the neck snap to the smell and the nose start to twitch. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Reminds me of when I used to walk one of my dogs very early in the mornings because she was not crazy about the heat but loved her walks. We had to go by a house with a Cocker in the yard. He would bark and carry on like nobodies business. I started carrying treats in my pocket. Get to his fence and he would get a goodie and Nefee (short for Nefertiti) would of course share in the no bark, bribe treat. This went on for several months and the Cocker moves. We get to the house, Nefee sits and looks at me. Where's the treat - I don't care if he moved or not :evilhalo:

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
John, what a cute story about Suzi. That pizza man has made a friend for life!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
It reminded me something that happened with Shiloh a few years ago that we laugh about to this day. A friend of my youngest son had taken a job selling knives door to door, and my son offered us up as guinea pigs. :rolleyes: So the young man comes to our house, sets up his display, and begins to demonstrate his wares. At one point in the demonstration, he asks for a slice of bread, to show how cleanly the knife cut. So he puts it down on the little table and proceeds to cut it into neat little squares. At which point Shiloh runs over and quick as a wink scarfs up all his little bread squares!!! :rotflmao: !!! I'm sure Shiloh, who loves company anyway, thought: Wow, this guy is great!! Not only does he bring me food, he cuts it up for me!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
A few weeks ago we were sitting outside a local cafe with the hounds when a guy walked by. We didn't recognize him, but the dogs all went running over to him and greeted him like he was a long-lost friend... we must have looked puzzled so the guy explained that he was a delivery driver for a restaurant (which we obviously get takeout from MUCH too often)!

And one time at a Tim Horton's drive-though (a well-known Canadian doughnut shop), the person at the window gave Moose a timbit (doughnut hole) - so now any time we go through a drive through Moosie scrambles to somehow get his nose out the driver's window with the hope that he will get another timbit!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Great story about Suzi! They have amazingly long memories don't they? Buckley, too, knows the joys of the drive-through. He has gotten a Timbit here at Tim's, so he loves that one. In the US when we visit the inlaws, they keep finding reasons to go through the drivethrough at the bank so that the tellers can give him biscuits!!

It's all we can do to stop him from doing a Jersey any time we get into the drivethrough line!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif (sorry, Jen, couldn't resist!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had forgotten about the drive-throughs. In Suzi's case it was the pharmacy. One of the employees used to give her a biscuit when she was with us. Of course, Suzi started expecting a treat each time, and once she even tried to climb out of the car window and into the drug store window. I literally had to pull her back by her hind legs 'cause she'd already gotten her paws and head into the building. The pharmacist would also put a biscuit in the bag if Suzi wasn't with us. That pharmacist left the store about two years ago so the treats stopped, but Suzi still insists on looking inside every prescription bag we bring home.

The noses on these dogs is just incredible. A few weeks ago my wife took home some groceries and Suzi kept trying to get into one of the bags that was sitting on the floor. Paulette kept telling her to leave it alone, that there was nothing in it for her. Finally, Suzie did a nose dive into the bag and came out with a rawhide chew bone that my wife had forgotten she'd bought. Suzie had sniffed it out inside a plastic bag while it was still in the plastic package.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Katie:

It's all we can do to stop him from doing a Jersey any time we get into the drivethrough line!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif (sorry, Jen, couldn't resist!)
LOL!

Great story about Suzi. Jersey too has been known to let her nose lead her to the food. As Katie metioned, she tried jumping out the window of the car at McDonald's last week. If she didn't have a harness on to grab her by, she'd have been gone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts