Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start by saying that I love our JoJo Beags. She's one awesome pooch.

But I do not love all this reverse sneezing. It's AWFUL!

I get up the motivation to run yesterday. It's 90+ degrees here, plus I'm pushing my 3 year-old in the jogging stroller, which is where the dog's tied onto. I'm not in the best of shape, so I was hoping for a smooth run.
What does she do? She reverse sneezes the entire first mile. No kidding. She might have stopped a few seconds inbetween, but every single person we passed stopped and stared at us. I tried holding her nose, rubbing her throat...I couldn't get her to calm down.

It's driving me BONKERS!

Good news is, we finished our miles, she napped for 4 hours that afternoon, and I burned 518 calories.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I feel your pain. Coco gets it alot while we are running and gets it often for no reason either. I also try to calm him down by covering his nose and massaging his throat and it takes a while. Just making me feel terrible for him

Congrats on burning off so much calories
Keep it up!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I understand. People look at you like your torturing your dog. It is either while your on a walk or in the middle of the night with him standing right next to your bed.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has been reverse sneezing a lot lately as well. She always does this time of year. There is nothing better than being woken up from a dead sleep to the sound of your dog reverse sneezing. Wakes one right up!

Anyway, she's also been licking her paws a lot on the days the sneezing is worse. I've starting giving her benedryl when I notice the paw licking and knock wood, the reverse sneezing has subsided. I'm pretty sure Jersey has seasonal allergies and that the reverse sneezing (and paw licking) is a symptom of them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When we first got Murphy and we walked he had the problem using a regular collar with his leash. I use a harness on him now and we haven't had an issue since switching to the harness.

I had found this link when I was looking up information when we first brought Murphy home. I hope it helps.

Reverse Sneezing

·
Registered
350 Posts
my Champ does it EVERY time he gets a drink.
i doubt there's anything you can do short of surgery.
C.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
When we first adopted Li'l Girl, she did a lot of reverse sneezing. She'd only been with us a short time when, along with the reverse sneezing, she became really congested. We took her to the vet, and she was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. She was treated with antibiotics, and once she was well the reverse sneezing decreased dramatically. Nine years later, she does it infrequently. As a matter of fact, she's more prone to regular old sneezing especially after being out sniffing in the woods.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Charlie does it more when He has a collar on, rather than a harness.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I walk my Jasmine with a harness because I couldn't get 5 feet without her reverse sneezing. But the other night she had about 2 or 3 episodes of the reverse sneezing and I'm blaming on the allergies.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I mentioned this in a previous topic but it is so embarassing/fruterating when people (and even other dog owners) don't understand about reverse sneezing and give you dirty looks or unsolicited advice (such as your dog is too fat and losing weight will help him with that or you're not feeding him with organic premium top grade food and thats why he's doing that etc). I've also been at a petsmart stores and had it happen (due to tugging on his leash/collar since he was so excited to see all the new smells and stuff) and have other pet owners literally yank their dog away from us because they think Arty has kennel cough or something.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally Posted By: Artimus BWI mentioned this in a previous topic but it is so embarassing/fruterating when people (and even other dog owners) don't understand about reverse sneezing and give you dirty looks or unsolicited advice (such as your dog is too fat and losing weight will help him with that or you're not feeding him with organic premium top grade food and thats why he's doing that etc). I've also been at a petsmart stores and had it happen (due to tugging on his leash/collar since he was so excited to see all the new smells and stuff) and have other pet owners literally yank their dog away from us because they think Arty has kennel cough or something.

Yep, we had several people that day stare at us like I was doing something terrible to her. I know that when she gets going so badly, squeezing her nose or rubbing her throat will do nothing, and she still wants to run while she's sneezing...so we kept going.
JoJo has episodes when she's excited, pulling on her leash (even her harness sometimes, but we'll have to use that next time we run to see if it's easier on her), or if she's been sniffing too much grass our flowers.
It's something we have to deal with.
I'm glad everyone here understands!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chica occasionally does the reverse sneeze. Always has since we got her. Monty never does. It all depends on the dog.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Daisy does the reverse sneezing as well. I also walk her on a harness and that seems to help. I sometimes will open her mouth when she's doing it and that also seems to help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts