Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figure Ill be here every day for the next month dealing with the new pup...this is my first time having a puppy and Ron's second time even having a dog (Snoops was his first!!)

Snoopy will not let the puppy play with his own toys..I give them equal toys, but Snoopy will growl then fight the pup. This happend a few times in the last 24 hours. I tried to say "Snoopy this is yours, Marbles this is yours" but Snoops puts his to the side and goes after Marble's toy..even if it is the SAME one...and then Snoops doesnt play with it...but the puppy needs to play.

I know Snoopy has been THE DOG of the house for the past 2 years, but how do I get a dog to share.

And we are showering Snoopy with love too..he walks out first, walks in first, gets fed first, treats first...we are trying to love him to death but I dont think Snoops really likes the pup at all /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Amanda

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't know, but from other friends who had this problem, he gave that dog tough love and it seems to work. they now live peacefully and happy!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by madison069:
Don't know, but from other friends who had this problem, he gave that dog tough love and it seems to work. they now live peacefully and happy!
Tough love er Madison069? What like shock collars? or e collars or beating the crap out the dog, all training should be done with love patience and praise. Please be careful what you are advocating!!!

Ref training, perhaps you can reward snoopies good behaviour with a treat ands correct him when he is snarly or nasty to the puppy with a "Nicely", perhaps have puppy or snoops on a short house lead so you have the control and snoops will be in range to instantly put straight.

Foxy was over the top with Gwenni as a puppy and tried to police her and we used the "nicely" command, when she was playing nice with the puppy we told her what a good girl she was and gave her treats and said "Good nicely". When she tried to be a bit rough with the pup we said "Nicely Foxy" to her in a firm voice and removed the puppy to her pen to give them a break.

Snoopy is feeling unsure, sad and envious, you have to makew it clear to him you are still here, are the boss, that the nasty behaviour to pup does'nt wash (we occasionally use a spray bottle to squrt the offender on the nose for unwanted behaviour)

Dont sympathise with snoops too much and be brisk and upbeat, again dont let the pup get in snoops face too much. You could train the pup with a "Nicely" command too.

Caleb was scared stiff of a tiny Gwenni and took to climbing to keep out the way and took about two weeks to come around.

Always watch them and be firm but fair.

I am sure Snoops will come around.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh dear, you poor thing. You must've looked forward to this for so long and hoped that they'd play and be friends /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I do remember reading something on Cesar Millan's website which may be helpful. He said that if you are introducing two dogs and one is "overbearing" etc..then you should only put them together once the "overbearing" one is tired after a huge walk/run/bike etc...are you keeping them seperate at the moment? are you able to maybe babygate an area of the house where the pup can have some "me" time? and only put them together for now when they are supervised and after Snoopy has had a really nice tiring walk?
Also is there anywhere you can let them interact in a neutral territory? A friends house or somewhere where Snoopy doesn't see it as his?
How are they when they go on walks together?

All the best with it and just remember it's early days /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Hopefully once they sort themselves out all will be happy hounds at your place /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Amanda, give it time.
You are doing right by keeping Snoopy on the "lead". Don't leave them alone together for now, and snoopyminky's advice makes sense: try exercising Snoopy before keeping them together in the same roon.

My cousin has 2 dogs, Tony was the first and Mimi came along a year later. Tony couldn't stand her for the first week or so, and was also "angry" at my cousin. About 7-10 days after that, when he didn't see Mimi around, he started looking for her frantically and now they are sleeping together on the same huge pillow. and Tony was the most spoiled dog I have ever seen (and I thought Chloe is spoiled).

They will be fine, but need time!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Seems like some good advice has been given already, I'll just add don't give up yet.

·
Registered
751 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Helen Louise, I don't think Madison meant to that extreme.

Anyway, like others have said, you are doing well. Only thing I would add is that giving him the lead is one thing to show he is still top dog, but they both must know that you and hubby are really the top dogs. I think I read something before or maybe it was on Cesar's show, about affection and love. It can send the wrong message. So be careful not to send Snoopy the message from love and affection, that you are happy with his behavior or that he is doing the right thing. I think a firm no, is fine here or there if they get out of hand. You want to let them work it out but Snoopy cannot think he has all the conrol over this situaton.

Good luck! I think with a few days it will be better.

Oh and, they can't really understand the my toys his toys thing. To your first pup, they are all his because they are all in HIS house.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Hellen Louise:
Tough love er Madison069? What like shock collars? or e collars or beating the crap out the dog, all training should be done with love patience and praise. Please be careful what you are advocating!!!

Like taking away toys, putting them in crates, Sit out time, no interacting with human or other dog when he acted mean toward the other dogs. TOUGH LOVE

what you talk about is BEATING AND ABUSE two different things.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Hey, Amanda, I think I must have missed something--when did you get the new puppy? How old is he? Marbles is a very cute name--did you post a picture?

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Hellen Louise:

Like taking away toys, putting them in crates, Sit out time, no interacting with human or other dog when he acted mean toward the other dogs. TOUGH LOVE

what you talk about is BEATING AND ABUSE two different things.
-------------------------------

Madison

Glad you cleared up the definition of tough love, we occasionally get folks who have banged on about prong collars etc. Beags are quite sensitive dogs who respond well to praise and patience. Your dixie has'nt half grown!!!
------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Amanda ... I have taken on this task 3 times with Sammy each time I one more pup came to stay for good.

It will seem like it takes forever but eventually Snoops will come to realize that Marbles is staying for good. Right now I think he might be feeling intruded upon and he is staking his claim to the house and everything in it. Sammy was 6 when I rescued Maddie and she would actually take all of the toys and hide them between the wall and her bed.

You just need to be consistent and not tolerate any unwanted behaviors (ie growling etc). Patience and consistency are your new words for the day. You and Ron should each make your own special time for Snoopy each day as well as making family time with all of you together.

Snoopy will adjust but it may not be easy or quickly.

Good Luck !!!
Julie

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good news as of now, I figured out how to let Marbles chew his toys alone....the crate!!! Yeah for him being crate trained already....I put his toys in there (except when he sleeps) And he will go play in there away from Snoopy, in his own safe place, and Snoops isnt allowed in there..he hated crate training..hee...now he just wants to go in there to get the toys, but he knows "NO" and will stop.

..temporary, but works for now.

Amanda

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That's good... they each know (or learning...) their boundries.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I know it's easier to say, but they will grow fond of one another... it takes a little time, but it will happen before you know it :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts