Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, she jumped up on the computer chair in my son's room, climbed onto his computer desk, took his $100 Bluetooth to his Apple iphone, and chewed it to shreds. He just found it on the floor in the hallway, and he's not a happy camper right now.

For some reason, Maggie has this THING for electronics...she's chewed up three cell phone chargers, a MP3 player, and a portable GPS system in the past couple of weeks. It's like she has a nose for electronics, and once she finds one, there's no stopping her from climbing or jumping to get at it.

The GPS system was left on a nightstand, where it was <span style="font-style: italic">fairly</span> easy for her to jump up and reach. But this other stuff, I have no idea how she was able to climb and get to.

We definitely need to make some changes around here...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know! Jack has had his eye on my cell phone for some time! I thought I had puppy proofed my house and then I go and leave a Bic pen on my nightstand. It was a pile of plastic on the bed when I found it - thank god/dog he didn't swallow it or that the ink didn't pour out all over him or the bed.

He sends Pee-mails so he doesn't need my computer!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh no! Luckily, we have avoided the destruction of electronics. The same can't be said for furniture, though.

I have no doubt that by now, Maggie has gotten out of the doghouse with her cuteness!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maybe a closed door policy could be instituted until Maggie outgrows the electronic age.

It's hard to remember that everything has to be out of a puppy's reach, especially if you haven't had a puppy for awhile. I know I kicked myself when I left my glasses on the coffee table when Spook first came. All I did was go out of the room, and $300 of eyeglasses were history!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Oh dear, Maggie, Maggie. She is a puppy or a young Beagle, isn't she? You'll have to try what we did when ours were young. Close doors to rooms you don't want her in by herself. Keep everything you like up very, very high. Good luck. We went through this too!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I feel like I need to defend Maggie, so here it comes:

SHE'S A BEAGLE PUPPY
and a cute one! You can't be mad at her for wanting to keep up with the technology

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Uh oh Maggie. That was a bad Beagle! But, you are just a baby. I kept everything high up and away from Jersey until she was close to a year old. The bottom shelves on my bookshelves were empty for a long time. She still tends to steal things she shouldn't, but thankfully she never had a taste for expensive electronics. She liked leather shoes, dirty laundry and paper.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been trying hard to keep all the upstairs doors shut, but invariably, either my husband or one of the boys forgets, and leaves a bedroom door open. THAT is when Maggie strikes. She's like the stealth bomber...she zooms in without anyone seeing, takes what she wants, and the rest is history.

She starts obedience class in two weeks, so I'm hoping that will help with both her destructive behavior AND her potty training. I tell ya, she's like no other dog I've EVER had!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm sorry I'm laughing, I know it's been expensive for your family but I can just see Jack running out of my bedroom with my alarm clock in his mouth. I got it back but with teeth marks all over it. He tried to run off with my camera but I caught him before he could actually get it. It's the look on his face when he's caught that gets me laughing - busted!

Well, good luck to you too. I know my day is coming when my cell phone will be missing - maybe he'll call Maggie!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jerseyOf course she's not like any other dog you've had...she's a Beagle.
That's the problem Jen, we HAD a beagle before Maggie and Molly didn't put us through <span style="font-style: italic">half</span> the stuff my little demon monster Maggie does! The only beagle behavior I had with Molly was her insatiable appetite...that girl could eat! She potty trained easily, was never destructive, and loved to please. What can I say...she was perfect!

My husband and I both told each other we would never compare Maggie to Molly, but holy smokes, Molly had us so spoiled, we had NO IDEA what a 'normal' beagle was like! LOL

I know part of the problem with Maggie is US. After losing Molly so unexpectedly (and being devastated by her loss), we probably tended to spoil Maggie a little too much when we first got her. And, we were soooo afraid of losing her when we first brought her home and she was diagnosed with kennel cough, that we kind of let her do her own thing. I know it was wrong, but it is what it is.

Anyway, hopefully the obedience training will help. At this point, it certainly can't hurt! LOL

·
Registered
959 Posts
We still keep the doors upstairs shut, for fear of the chewing Cobi and he's seven. Son #2 still hasn't learned that whatever is left out in the open is fair game for Cob if you leave it laying around. Right now his favorite treat are baseball hats, he has no favorite team, only the hat!

Hang in there Maggie, will get the idea....10 years ago we came home to a totally destroyed couch, I mean cushions and backing...now that was some chewing!

Hugs to you both and your son!

Cathy, cobismom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Luckily for us Daisy's thing is paper - there isn't a piece of paper that has a chance if Daisy has any type of access - fortunately for us - paper is a lot cheaper. It seems most beagles have their special thing.

·
Registered
786 Posts
What we did and it might help is bought baby gates for my son's rooms. Now all they can do is look in and wish they could get into trouble and the kids still have there electronics/whatever else....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The first year in a Beagle's life is tough on the humans. Obedience classes sound like a good investment.

Beagle #1, Bama, destroyed so much stuff, I thought about farming him out to the DEA to generate some extra income sniffing drugs or fruit or something.

Who knew these cute, cuddly fur balls are actually little destructo machines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts