Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the past few days I've been worried about the way Maggie has been acting. She's been sort of mopy and tired, and I can tell she just didn't feel well, so I've been keeping an extra eye on her. Last night she was laying next to my husband for a while and he kept asking her what she rolled in because she smelled, then a little while later her and Jasmine started there nightly washing of each others eyes and Jasmine then proceeded to Maggies ears. Thats when I realized and put everything together that she must have an ear infection. So I proceeded to check and her ear is red and smelly. Thank god I still had medicine at home and started treating her right away.

I have a thought of what might have given her the infection and I'm wondering if others might think the same? She hasn't had a bath, and doesn't like water too much so my thought is I changed her food a few weeks ago from Purina Pro Plan reduced fat to Sensible Choice reduced fat? Plus I'm adding two table spoons of wet dog food at each feeding.

After reading jassy's comment about the Wellness Core reduced fat food, I'm thinking of changing to that. My only problem is I'm feeding 3, so the cost is up...

Any ideas are welcome?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
While researching the dog foods, I did read that beet pulp is used in some foods and it's considered a negative because it can lead to ear infections.

The Wellness Core did look like a good choice. It was one of 3 that I had narrowed down in my search. Pretty sure it was beet pulp-free.

Good thing you had the meds on hand. I was lucky and in all the years with the labs, Roscoe only had 1 ear infection and none for Cassie. Considering they used to swim all the time, I thank my stars we didn't have more problems. Hope Maggie gets cleared up in no time!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
When I adopted Romeo I had him on Purina Pro Plan because that's what his breeder fed him - he had several ear infections - then I switched him to Nutro Natural Choice (which I'd fed other dogs) - and no more ear infections. My vet says that in the past they thought most ear infections in floppy earred dogs were caused by moistness in the ears - they now believe that most ear infections are caused by allergies - corn and wheat are both known allergens, so I stay away from anything with corn or wheat - and that is the basis for many of the store brand foods. The ONLY ear infection we've had here (with 10 dogs) in the past 7 years is Lottie - who came to me with an ear infection, and multiple health problems. She hasn't had any more problems since that one was cleared up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts