Our Beagle World Forums banner

Maggie Marie adapting to new home or humans adapting to Maggie

31K views 192 replies 17 participants last post by  MazdaFlyer 
#1 ·
#4 ·
That is an adorable video and the cutest little puppy. I love videos like this. Little pudgy beagle with a happy and very wiggly butt. Makes me want another. ??

#8 · (Edited)
We didn't get much sleep last night. I had planned on getting up a few times to take her out to potty. Her crate is in the kitchen below our bedroom. She made a big fuss when we turned out the lights and headed upstairs. I went down to calm her down and talked her to sleep, which worked until she woke back up an hour or so later. Went down and took her out to potty. Repeat the talking to sleep bit. Hour later repeat process. We had another crate, do we take it upstairs to my side of bed. Get her settled and she starts whaling again. With my socks in front of door and my hand/fingers on door we settle down. Went about 2-1/2 hours this time, another potty break. Repeat process again, another couple of hours sleep and up at 6:30. She is one happy camper finally and ready to play. Hoping for more peace tonight. At least being retired we don't have to get up for work.
Also found out this morning that she can go through the dog gate at kitchen/hallway opening, like a rabbit going through chain link fence.
We had a ramp for our Dachshund to get in and out. Maggie was very reluctant of it. Finally late yesterday she went up it to get inside, this morning she used it to get out. Seems to be a quick learner. Favorite thing outside seems to playing with leaves and sniffing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Oh I remember it well...lol you won't get much sleep for awhile. I remember one time my husband and I took our puppy out at 3am and there we were in the dark and suddenly we couldn't stop laughing at ourselves and the image of us with this little dog.

These buggers outsmart us at every turn just when you think you've got it figured out....NOT!:D. The first 6months are the hardest...tic...tic...tic:dance:

#12 ·
Bless you I remember that stage and thought bailey would never settle at night. I slept on the sofa the first week near his crate. You will get loads of good advise but in the end you will work out the best way for your family.
Hope you get a bit more sleep tonight.

#13 · (Edited)
A little better with the crate sleeping last night, just got up three times but an early rising this morning. She had a lot of pent up energy when I let her up. Spent some time outside this morning, leaves and sticks seem to fascinate her. I kept taking the sticks away. Learning chase and fetch ball. Rather surprised that she can pick up a tennis ball.

#18 ·
Looks like little Maggie is keeping you on your toes. Definitely whatever works for you, with the crate. I let mine cry it out. I never comforted, played or gave attention during the night. Potty breaks were - out to potty, good dog, back in the crate, lights off. The first night, my pup cried for 45 minutes. By the third night it was down to 15 minutes and then, no more crying. I'd get a whine, if it was potty time. Once the pup was able to hold it through the night - not a peep. My dogs are 1.5 and 3.5 now. They go to their crates nicely, sleep quietly all night and don't get up until I come to release them.

#19 ·
Better night on Monday, everyone in bed at 9:00. Potty breaks at 11:00, 3:00 and 6:15 at which time we started our day. Discovered dry cat poop this morning. Neighbors feral cats run loose and choose our yard for eliminations. She turned down some training treats we had bought for her.
Went to our vet this afternoon for first local checkup. She received one additional vaccination and was found to have some ear mites in right ear. She got drops for those and had a repeat scheduled for a couple of weeks. Everything else was normal.

#25 ·
Love the photos she looks like she having a great time, they grow so quick. I used to rush back for bailey when I left him, but every time he would be sleeping.
If I leave him now be it 10 mins or four hours you would think he hadn't seen me for a week, he barks at me when I return.

#27 ·
Yah leave it, drop it not much help outside. I've been following behind her with a grabber and a plastic bag. I've picked her up and moved her to another spot and high tails it back to the find spot. She is 9 weeks old today end relentless.
She slept through the night without getting up...amazing. She was crated today while we went for groceries and again when we went out to lunch.
We are in backyard now tracking scents of various origins.https://vimeo.com/156757935

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.