Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all! Maggie has had a couple of rough days -- ended up needing IV fluids yesterday morning after losing her bowel control Friday night. We don't know why it happened but she is now off all of her meds, including those for Cushings, and on three new ones. No food all day yesterday which was tough on her since I had friends over. Now all she is allowed is a bland canned food -- no treats or anything else. At least she is eating it. I took a picture of her after her IV treatment (in same collar as her calendar picture) -- can't believe how much thinner she is, especially her face. Her collar now sits on her shoulders. I think she looks a bit drunk ...

She is sleeping a lot today but is alert when she is awake. Hopefully, new meds will kick in soon!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Maggie, I hope you feel better with the new meds soon.
Lots of belly rubs from Chloe and me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
650 Posts
Keeping our fingers and paws crossed that Miss Maggie gets better soon!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thinking of you, Judy and Maggie :heart:

I hope Maggie's new meds will work quickly! It's good that she's perky -- she's such a spunky girl /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Kisses, hugs and belly rubs from Daisy and me -- and prayers going up.

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear. We hope that Maggie will pick up again soon. Thinking of you at this stressful time.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Oh Judy, I'm so sorry Maggie hasn't been well! Is she feeling better today? Sure hope so!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update ... good news is that Mags had a normal poop this morning -- hooray!! First time in a long time so new med (Centrine) is definitely working. It is only for short-term use -- she has two more days on it but hopefully effects will last a bit. Bad news is that Maggie appears to be in pain -- having frequent tremors and does not even want belly rubs so tonight, after talking with the vet this afternoon, I am starting a very low dose of valium a couple times a day. Also, she is eating a very, very little bit of food -- mixed warm broth with it today to try and entice her but she only ate a few tablespoons yesterday and same today. She likes the Nutri-cal but she will continue to lose weight and muscle mass if she doesn't start eating more. Am going to try current regimen until Friday when I will check back in with the vet -- may have to switch to ground beef. She is alert and seems to want food -- just not what she is allowed. Thanks for all your good thoughts!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, bless her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I hope that her appetite picks up soon. Gingergoose posted awhile back about the prescription drug cyprohexadrine she gave Olivia to stimulate her appetite. Could that be something that might of help to Maggie?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:Originally posted by Sandyj:
Gingergoose posted awhile back about the prescription drug cyprohexadrine she gave Olivia to stimulate her appetite. Could that be something that might of help to Maggie?
Thanks for mentioning that -- I did have that med written down. We think Maggie's brain is telling her to eat but nausea/pain/change in taste buds, etc. override the desire. The Nutrical and the cortisone shots she got last week can be appetite stimulants also. Interestingly, I gave her a 1/4 of a Valium tablet last evening and proceeded to watch a whole host of different behaviors -- she actually climbed up in my lap a couple of times and wanted to be snuggled(very, very unusual for her). She also ate almost 1/2 a can of food and, thankfully, the tremors stopped! Back to usual pattern this morning and, since I had to leave for work, didn't want to give her the Valium without someone there to watch for side effects. I'll give her another tonight if she still has tremors. Just taking this one day at a time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts