Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son began his new job at a hospital about an hour away (graduated from paramedic school in December).

Our Maggie is 'his' dog, she was rescued on his birthday two years ago. She is so closely bonded with my dog Calvin, we decided she should always live with me, however.

Since my son moved into his new apartment mid-January, Maggie has been grieving. My son took her hunting regularly, and to visit the family farm almost every day. Whenever a truck just like his drives by the house, she runs to the door and listens and whines for hours!! She's always sitting in her favorite spot on the couch looking out the window....I'm sure she's watching for him.
He came home yesterday for a SuperBowl party down the street.....and she hasn't stopped whining since he left. Just sits by the door and listens....and whines. It is absolutely HEARTBREAKING! (To be fair, I think my son misses Maggie just as much!)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Can your son give her an old worn tee-shirt of his she can sleep with... Maybe that will help?

Give her lots of tummy rubs!!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took his hunting clothes and laid them on the floor in his room ....but the last time he went hunting with her, he apparently carried a rabbit home in his pocket, because Miss Maggie promptly chewed up the pocket before I saw the blood spots! :eyes:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Poor Miss Maggie! Hopefully your son will make frequent visits so she and him can bond and catch up! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Here is the solution:

Quote:Originally posted by LuckyBeagle:
... Hopefully your son will make frequent visits so she and him can bond and catch up! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Maggie misses a big part of her pack. The point is she would miss also you and Calvin if she was separated from ya and living with your son.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Poor Maggie!!! Bob is right. When I have to go to work, Boeing will sit by the front door when it's time for me to be home. But when I'm home and my mom has to go out the whole day, he'll do the same except that he doesn't know exactly when my mom will be back. He just sits on the couch near the window and looks out every once in a while for any signs of her return. The dog doesn't want to be with just either one of us; he wants to be with both of us. We are his pack.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
It is so sad when dogs pine so. Ours get very upset when either Dave or I go out without them. Hope your son can get to see Maggie often, maybe she will then get used to his coming and going.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
That must be heartbreaking to watch.

Bob made a good point, if Maggie went to live with your son, she would then miss you all!

Hopefully soon, she will get back into the routine and consider his visits home great treats then get used to his leaving again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts