Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought Maggie home on Thursday night because my husband was going away for two nights starting Friday night. We were not sure how Brewster would react. Fingers were crossed that he would be enthusiastic but it was not to be the case. He was very stand-offish and each time she would wander over to him he would run away.

Second day onwards he is getting better but we seem to have trouble with Maggie. Unstandable, but she seems to whine 24/7. I thought perhaps the first and second night yes .. She did whine the first night and we gave her lots of cuddles are re-assurance which worked well .. But just generally during the day she seems to whine - its getting to the point where I can't handle the whine. I put her outside with Brewster in the play area to the side of the house because its a beautiful day.. But I wonder if this is normal. I was expecting it at night but not all day long.

My husband says that I must be more patient - he's absolutely right. But at the same time, I worried that there might be something else wrong other than separation anxiety ??? :conf6:

Any advice from those experienced with puppies would be grateful.

I might add that she is 8 weeks old, which we are told is the normal time to take them home from the breeder.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am not sure why she would whine during the day. Maybe she is just stressed by the changes and misses mom. I was lucky with my Maggie because she only cried if she needed out at night. Is your Maggie eating Ok? If she is eating and you don't think she has any pain I would just give her more time. Can you distract her with a toy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jassy

It seems to be less frequent today.. which is excellent and the dogs are interacting well - play fights etc ..

She is eating like a trouper - she is mainly on chicken and puppy milk .. right from the start we caught on that this is one fussy little girl. We gave her some tubed meat and vege but she flat out didn't touch it - I chopped up some chicken breast and she scoffed that back within seconds.

I think some of the whining is her just making a noise for the sake of it - as she makes this sound when she is having a scratch or calling out when she wakes up in a different room from a nap - I think I will just monitor it for a few days .. I'm probabaly over-reacting.

I will need to post a few pics of her before she grows ! as it happens too quickly ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have a 6 month old male that is either sleeping, playing or whining. He doesn't seem to be able to ever just relax like my other dogs. Our 1 yr old female whines a lot too, but not like Tate. Maya whines instead of barking for the most part. She really whines if she gets excited about seeing people or other dogs. I personally think some are just more prone to the whining.

When I brought my pups home I found that it was very helpful to put a large stuffed animal (Clifford in our case) in their kennel with them and I also used one of those white noise machines that plays the sound of a heartbeat. It really seemed to help with the whining at night.

Good luck to you and congrats on the new addition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts