Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call from the vet, and the routine stool sample that we took in on Saturday came back positive for Giardia. Just wondering...how common is this in puppies?

I was told to come in tomorrow to pick up medication, and I believe the vet said he's going to give her Flagyl. The thing that I think is odd is that she was on Flagyl for two weeks when we first brought her home, for kennel cough. I'm assuming that she's probably had the Giardia all along, so I'm wondering why the two week course of Flagyl didn't cure it. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Guess I better go Google Giardia and see what I can find out.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My Maggie had Giardia when we got her as a pup. We did either two or three courses of the medication. She was still testing positive so my vet gave her the Giardia vaccine. After that she was fine. It is contagious to you and other pets you may have. Our vet cautioned us about being extra careful with hand washing. Also we cleaned up the yard after her immediately. Maggie was sick when she had Giardia, vomiting and looking miserable.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke had Giardia as a pup. He was given the Flagyl and Panacur and was all better after in a week.

Luckily, we haven't had any further issues with Duke. I think his snacking on his own waste was what caused the problem in the first place.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses! I did a little research on Giardia, and I definitely feel better knowing that it's fairly common in puppies.

I picked up the medication today, and he's giving her Panacur granules to be taken once daily in moistened food.

My biggest problem is going to be getting her to take it. She's proven to be a poor/picky eater, and she doesn't eat at any specific time...it's always up to her, and she's been known to go an entire day without eating. It would have been so much easier if it was in pill form, as that I could get down her throat. *sigh*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts