Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maggie is afraid. She was outside this evening when some fireworks went off, then about the time she came in, our smoke detector beeped three or four times (we were frying shrimp). She started to shake so hard she couldn't stand. She was panting and her heart was racing. I put her on the couch with me and when she was still shaking and panting after an hour, I called my vet. He called back and had me check the color of her gums and asked some questions. He thinks she is just afraid of the noises. What can I do for her when she is this panicked? Now I think I better stay up until the real fireworks at midnight.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Jassy don't feel bad. My three have been swarming at my feet since seven o'clock. I live in the country, so lots of loud fireworks, and lots of shaky beagles! I've already got their beds set up next to mine in preparation for midnight. Just keep Maggie with you and keep reassuring her that everything is ok, and she'll be fine. Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
There is Rescue Remedy. Someone talked about it on this forum before.

Pooh Bear did a little of this when he was a little fella. He touched the electric fence a few times when he was little. He would hide, pant hard, try to climb up on on and act terrified. I took him to the vet after one of these episodes and the vet gave me some sort of tranquilizer to give him in these circomstances. I didn't have to use it much and he outgrew this.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Fireworks create havoc at our house too....I certainly hope you found some peace and got some sleep last night /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Poor Maggie. Hope she is ok now

I have used Rescue Remedy and I also use a product called Serene-ums

Comes in drops or tablet form

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The interesting thing is that once she got through the initial panic she didn't seem afraid of the fireworks. When the big stuff went off at midnight she barked a few times but no more shaking or panting. I'm still not completely convinced it was the fireworks that got her started.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jassy:
I'm still not completely convinced it was the fireworks that got her started.
Jassy: I bet it was more the smoke detector. Maggie is completely oblivious to fireworks, even those going off right in my neighborhood. I am the one jumping and she just keeps sniffing. However, the smoke detector beeping brings on an anxiety attack every time. I have to get her out of the house really quickly before it escalates and, of course, they always start going off in the middle of the night! Since this is the only noise that freaks her out, my guess is that this is a trigger because it is such a high-pitched sound.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I second the smoke detector effect. Shasta, otherwise known as Wimpkins, does not like the noise when it goes off or the noise (beep) it makes when the battery gives up the ghost. If it happens during the day, she goes outside and hides under the bushes in a little hole she has dug there. If it happens at night, her hidey hole is behind the toilet - which is not easy task for a 17", 38 lb. Beagle! :lol2: My other two do not like the noise but do not carry the anxiety to Shasta's level.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Franny is the same way. Fireworks or the smoke detector send her into hiding and the violent shakes. Even the hood fan in the kitchen will start her shaking as that's usually the precursor to the smoke detector going off.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I'm worried about the security system. I don't know what she would do if it ever went off.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Maggie completely ignores the security system sounds (maybe she is insulted that I have to have a security system with her at home ...), both the beeps when doors are opened and once when the actual alarm went off when I couldn't remember my code. It is definitely a different pitch than the smoke alarm so expect that is the difference in her reactions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts