Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maggie has graduated to intermediate class. We are having the best time and everyone keeps saying they didn't know beagles are so smart. (Of course, the stubborn shows up sometimes too.)Maggie has created quite a sensation in class with the down and wait command because if she has to stay down, she prefers to be in what I have seen you all call the freagle position. She gets down and comfortable and is willing to wait a long time if she knows I have a "cookie" in my hand. People laugh and come over to watch her lounging on the floor while the other dogs are anxious to get up.
Her friend, Mario, a fox terrier from the beginning class and Maggie often begin to play right in the middle of something serious when they should be working. That gets people laughing too. I think of the classes as a chance to be good will beagle ambassadors. Maggie has sure made a lot of people and doggie friends.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Way to go, Maggie /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
326 Posts
That would be very cute to see! Well done Maggie.

We have our second class at puppy preschool tonight and our first with the girls (first night they just go through what's going to happen and what we want out of it).

It will be interesting because if we are out the back and trying to call the girls with treats, they ignore us and go and fight/play on the grass. TOTALLY ignore us.. I know they know we are calling, but it's more fun to play than learn things. I just hope they are good tonight and dont try that with the teacher!! We may have to sit on the other side of the room from each other so they aren't together.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I am SO PROUD of Maggie's charming abassadorship and accomplishments! WAY TO GO..... :bounce2:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well done Maggie. Your mom must be so proud of you.

When we took Bonnie training she was the best in her class.

Willow however was harder to train but did attain her bronze award which included a 2 min sit stay.

Rasha we trained at home but I might take her to try for her bronze this year.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sounds like Maggie is enjoying classes, keepup the good work and just show those other dogs that beagles are best!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Way to go Maggie! It sounds like she's doing wonderfully. We never finished the Intermediate classes. I talked to the trainer at PetSmart and she said we can take the class again at no charge. I've been considering it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maggie seems to like the classes. She is always calmer and more focused for a day or two after we go. It helps me also and reminds me of the things I need to work on. We are taking our classes at Petsmart. The trainer is actually a friend of mine from high school. She has spent the last 20 years raising guide dogs, in addition to having multiple dogs as pets throughout her life so she is very knowledgeable and is always willing to offer suggestions and extra help.

·
Registered
540 Posts
As most of you who have been on BW for a while, you know our girls went to a private trainer first and she used the pinch collar, which we detested; however, they did very well in the sit, stay and heel areas. We dropped out when she put shock collars on them and I won't go into that. About six weeks ago we started basic again at Petsmart. We loved the trainer and the girls would work for treats, which we had been doing on our own; however, due to poo problems first with Brandy, then with Cecil, we had missed too much. Anyway, my hubby is negative on this and we stopped halfway...Got half the money back too. I really want to work more on obidence and plan to especially with Cecil. My biggest problem is with two. It was o.k. at the training facility as Richard was there with Brandy and me with Cecil, but at home trying to work on the various commands is difficult at best. If I could get one alone, that would be different; however, they are always together and one interfers with the other. We can do sit and stay for a treat, but that's it. We do individual mile walks and that works fine, but they don't walk well together. Anyway, it's tax season and I am very busy....but can't start working until the girls can go out to the playpen. They get full of the devil when I am in my office and they are solo with each other in another part of the house. But all in all they are good girls and misbehave very little compared to what I read. What a joy Mggie must be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts