Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently heard that there is a shot for dogs to prevent lyme disease but its a seasonal shot or something like that...Has anyone heard anything about it? or have had it done for their dog? I'm considering it, lyme disease is VERY common up where i live in dogs, mainly because alot of ppl take their dogs into the woods etc. Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is it still a good idea to get all your dog a shot even thought we do not life in parts of the US that has lyme disease?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well if its not a problem in your area then there's no point. I guess you can do it if your really worried but i wouldn't bother, Unless you travel alot with you beagle, in which case they might come in contact with lyme disease infected mosquitos. After seeing that map though, i think i'll get mine the shot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A friend of mine has a farm in the Berkshire mountains (black zone on the map) with 7 sheep trial dogs along with a herd of sheep, etc. Every year each dog gets a Lyme shot and at least one dog a year still contracts Lyme disease. Without the shots his vet predicts 7 out of 7 would have Lyme each year. Because they are on a farm the dogs are tested every month for active Lyme. This disease is extremely horrible for humans and dogs. Early symptoms in dogs can be vague and the lab tests for detection are poor at best. My vote is, if you love your dog, give him the shot. I've had the disease with permanent injury and would never want my pet to suffer the same way.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes with you being on the black Zone (like I am) have the shot done. Its usually yearly with all the other shots.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It ain't a mosquito, it is a dang tick. I worry more about the Bagel getting the plaque than Lyme but medium risk or above I wouldn't hesitate to get the Bagel such a shot. The light pink in Nevada refers to two cases, one in each county over the last 20 years and it is along the major interstate corridor between SoCal and Salt Lake. You need to do some research if your area is light pink, but medium or (shudder) black is cause for concern for both you and your pet!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well it's Nov 9, we've had over a 7 days of heavy frost/freezing plus 3 of snow and just now I pulled a deer tick off my neck that either the cats or Marley brought in. The deer tick is the carrier of Lyme and is 1/3 the size of a wood tick (the size of a pin head). It's never safe to go without Lyme protection in a black zone -- where I live if a deer tick bite is confirmed, prophylactic antibiotics are given immediately by our local vets and human docs. The tick I just took off hadn't bitten yet, so I'm safe this time. Marley's favorite prey, bunnies and groundhogs, are carriers of deer ticks. So are birds, skunks, mice, etc. We're even considering a move to Denver, CO just to get away from the Lyme/deer tick problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts