Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
georgia will do this If she has been sleeping & my son goes over to her & sticks his face in her face which I can totally understand we have told him not to bother her when she is sleeping

but today she did it to a friend of my daughters when she was fully awake.
my daughters friend came over to her when we were sitting on the couch & held her hand out to georgia to sniff this same girl has been in our house before so it is not like georgia does not know her.

well the girl was sitting down talking to her & out of nowhere georgia just lunges out & snaps as her thank goodness I was there to pull her back.
why is she doing this she is such a sweet dog I hate it when she gets like this how can I help her to get used to new people

·
Registered
443 Posts
How old is Georgia? It mite be time for a vet check - is this a fairly new behavior? When someone comes to the door, make sure Georgia's focus is on YOU - use treats if need be. Getting her to behave when different people come to visit begins at the door. If need be, have a leash to restrain her. If she ever makes a move - a light leash correction at the exact same time a sound from you such as EH! (that sound is really sharp and quick - not drawn out. The two things happening at the exact same time serve two purposes - it quickly should change her focus/it scares her and she also learns that you don't like what she is doing.

I must say, this really has me baffled. As a rule - a dog, any breed, will not lunge and snap at someone unless ... 1. a physical problem in perceiving the new person or 2. they have been provoked in some way - this could have been done in the past and now Georgia is remembering something that triggers the behavior. I can totally understand her reaction to your son but it is this second behavior that has me baffled as to why it is happening. Something is leading Georgia to act this way - I've never had that problem but I know others who have and just repeating something they have tried.

·
Registered
837 Posts
There are too many things it could be to be able to give an accurate diagnosis over the net - I would be consulting a reputable and qualified behaviourist/trainer ASAP.

It could be hyper/excited behaviour or aggression or a few other things that would need to be seen in person to be able to properly diagnose.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: How old is Georgia? It mite be time for a vet check - is this a fairly new behavior?

she is 4 will be 5 in november.

she has done it a few times to both of my kids but she has been sleeping or resting when it happened. when new people come in I have them either give her a cookie to a bit of peanut butter to show her that they are good & do not want thm to hurt her but as soon as the treats are gone she stills barks & lightly growels

·
Registered
127 Posts
Could she be trying to protect you? We had a cocker that was my dog and if anybody walked near me, tried to touch me (even a hug or handshake), etc. he would come between us and protect me. I was always aware of him when people were in our house and never left him unattended because of his behaviors. As far as when she is sleeping--could it be that she just does not like to be disturbed when at rest?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts