Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Carnivore Scent hound Companion dog Whiskers
So my puppy is 11 weeks old now. She has always been a bit mouthy (chewing lightly but not hurting). Every time she has done this we have said no and replaced our hand with a toy. The last few days however she has started snapping and lunging to bite whilst bearing her teeth. The bites aren’t just gentle nibbles either! She draws blood regularly.
I feel completely at the end of my tether because I don’t know why this has started! Is this normal behaviour? How do I deal with it? Why is she doing it? Please help!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Please read up on puppy biting..they go thru this phase which lasts a few months. It will get better but you need to do a few things.
1. Crate your dog..and take out for potty on a leash.
2. No yelling or spanking for biting. Dont try those turning the dog on its back moves..it just makes matters worse.
3. Give your dog some appropriate chew toys.
4. Dont let your dog freely move around your house or go on furniture. They get wild and bity.
5. Hand feed your dog for a few weeks..cup the food in your hands..as the saying goes..." dont bite the hand that feeds you".
4. Keep shoes on your toes or they will get biten.
5. Dont sit on the floor at the dogs level..that encourages biting.
6. If you have children BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL with their interaction with the dog.
7. Finally.. there is light at the end of the tunnel..
8. Your Puppy is adorable!

Here is Cassie, now 9.8 yrs but a former biter...lol
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Comfort

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please read up on puppy biting..they go thru this phase which lasts a few months. It will get better but you need to do a few things.
1. Crate your dog..and take out for potty on a leash.
2. No yelling or spanking for biting. Dont try those turning the dog on its back moves..it just makes matters worse.
3. Give your dog some appropriate chew toys.
4. Dont let your dog freely move around your house or go on furniture. They get wild and bity.
5. Hand feed your dog for a few weeks..cup the food in your hands..as the saying goes..." dont bite the hand that feeds you".
4. Keep shoes on your toes or they will get biten.
5. Dont sit on the floor at the dogs level..that encourages biting.
6. If you have children BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL with their interaction with the dog.
7. Finally.. there is light at the end of the tunnel..
8. Your Puppy is adorable!

Here is Cassie, now 9.8 yrs but a former biter...lol
View attachment 42361
Thank you! I just wanted to check this was normal behaviour! Seeing little Cassie gives me hope 😂x

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Let us know how its going..we like progress reports..
Also get a CLICKER ..its a great cheap training tool..read up on how to use one.. there are slightly different versions but its the sound that you want...see the picture.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout
Body jewelry Rectangle Material property Font Magenta

1 - 6 of 6 Posts