Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all dogs get progressively lumpier as they get older?!

Booker just turned 10 in January and is my first dog so I don't really have anyone else to compare her to - but I must say that I am becoming quite dismayed at the number of lumps, bumps and things she is starting to sprout in an alarming way all over her body over the past months. We get each of them checked out at the vet (we seem to be there quite often anyway) and so far none are of concern, but she has things all over her - skin tags on her mouth, a wart/mole on her back, several lumps in her armpits and on her belly (even after three others were removed from there in January) - and then yesterday I noticed that she is getting what looks like yet another fatty lump right on the top of her pretty little head!

At the rate this is going she is going to be the Elephant Beagle in no time...

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi!

My two senior girls, both honorary beetles, both have at least several lipomas on them. And they do get bigger.

Since they are harmless, we just leave them along.

I suspect that Henry will become lumpy as he gets older, too.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yup, I've got a "lumpy" senior beagle, too (and my former dogs were lumpy also)! I keep track of the lipomas and the vet keeps an eye on them as well. The vet usually has to reassure me about some of them that are growing quite large but the only ones that would be removed are those that get in the way of movement such as one under one of her arms. As far as other "things", definitely keep track of moles or similar growths just like you would on yourself. Maggie has had to have several moles removed over the last few years -- thankfully, none were cancerous.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Yes, my retriever is over 11 years old. I had 2 lumps extracted, one on his eye lid and one on his forehead. Vet said they will keep coming as he age. A friend of mine had a dachshund, he is over the rainbow bridge now. He had lumps all over his body too. Believe to be some kind of skin disease.

·
Registered
448 Posts
though my gang is still young, it is good to know that this "lumpiness" will be part of coming of age for them, so I wont completely and totally flip out and become a basket case when I find one. (feel free to imagine this now! LOL)

Chopper does have a spot on his leg that he has been gnawing on, I think it is a "hot spot" is there anything anyone recommends for that?

Thanks
Judi and the gang

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes, they can get lumpy/bumpy as they get older. Murphy has quite a few lumps and bumps. Always get them checked (aspiration). Normally they are just fatty or fiberous tumors.

If you put her in to get her teeth cleaned, you can ask to have the smaller fiberous bump carterized off and the skin tags removed while she is asleep. We did that with Murphy only to have new ones crop up.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jdetmering:

Chopper does have a spot on his leg that he has been gnawing on, I think it is a "hot spot" is there anything anyone recommends for that?
Thanks
Judi and the gang
Judi, when Shiloh was younger she got a couple of hot spots. The vet gave me some ointment for heal them (I'm sorry I don't remember what it was called) and also a cortisone shot to relieve the itching.

·
Registered
157 Posts
:computer: Tippi has also started with the "lump thing" Our vet checks aspirates them and checks the fluid each time (quite costly!!!), but with everything else going on with her I feel better when he tests. So far they have all been benign and they have all come back!!!! He says not to worry.(Yeah, right!!!).

Re: Hot spots. Read that organic apple cider vinegar helps, so tried it on Tippi and surprisingly it worked. I just dab it on with a clean lint free cloth. You might want to give it a try.

Lora&Tippi
"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.