Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Cecil has developed a lump or knot on her left front leg in an area I would liken to her wrist. She does not limp or favor the leg; however if you touch the lump she winces. I took her to the vet yesterday and she got X-rayed. Sure enough it's right on top of a joint, part has hardened and part still a little soft. The vet said she was looking at an athelete. Her conformation was perfect and she felt this was caused by her jumping, running stuff. She had never seen this or in this position on a dog. She has seen it on a horse and a person, but not on a dog. She put her on a med for both pain and anti-inflamatory. She is doing research and calling concerning this. Meanwhile, my lively Cecil is supposed to now walk only on the grass and no really long walks. Anyone heard about anything like this?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have never heard of this condition although "athletic" would never be an adjective to describe my Maggie. It sounds like you have an excellent vet who is going the extra step to find out exactly what the problem is. Gentle hugs sent to Cecil! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif

·
Registered
605 Posts
At least Cecil got a great compliment yesterday! Sounds like your vet is on the ball, and I'd say it's good news she's not favoring the leg...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted By: Mom of 2 Beagles Now is Cecil the one that loves to run? Do you still run with her?
Yes, Cecil is my little runner. Until the vet visit, we would still end our morning walk with a run for as long as I could run. Then when I would say "o.k. now" she would just slow down and walk the rest of the way.

The vet called me today. She had consulted two other vets and let one examine the X-rays. She also consulted a dog/cat physical therapist, who is also a vet who had seen a similar injury in a rotweiller. I did not know about dog physical therapy, but it makes sense. Anyway, after all the discussion and research, she, along with the physical therapist vet, think that we should just keep her on the meds for anti-infalmatory and pain, only walk on grass as much as possible, and the check it out again with X-ray, etc in a month. Since Cecil and Brandy go to doggie day care about once a week there, she will look in and see if improvement as well as if the pain to the touch goes away. If the pain goes away we will discontinue that after 10 days, but if not then for the full month. She also want both dogs on the Clondroiton (sp)for joints starting today. Anyway, sounds like a plan to me.

Belly rubs all around, I say.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It almost makes me think of a stress fracture like show horses get...although the x-rays ruled that out.
Dear Cecil,
I'll make extra sure that I keep my human steppin' while we're out walking, and I'll do some super zoomies for you!
Licks,
Henry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts