Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he's only been eating about one food bowl a day of late...(before he'd eat twice) I'm concerned. He's a growing pup, he needs his food. I tricked him into eating some by putting it in his kong with some peanut butter, but i'm afraid to do that too much or he'll want it that way all the time (with peanut butter, that is)

suggestions?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe stopped eating her 2 feedings at about 9 months and only ate at night. The fact that summer is approaching and it's hotter also may effect it, as they tend to eat less.
I he is eating the at least one feeding a day and drinking his water, that should be fine.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke went through the same thing. He has never been a big eater when it comes to his dry food, anyhow (people food and treats....whole different story). But, he'd at least eat a bowl and when I thought he wasn't eating enough, I'd pull out some canned to mix with the dry or add a little chicken broth and he'd wolf it down.

Like Eleanor said, the weather change also makes a difference. Duke and Cassie both have been eating significantly less food the past few weeks.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The weather was my first thought too. The heat seems to make them not want to eat as much. How old is he now? I seem to remember Jersey stopped eating as much for a bit just before she hit a year. Then she leveled out and went back to two meals a day. I thought it was her food and tried adding extras to it, but that didn't seem to help too much. Eventually she went back to normal. You can always have him checked by the vet to make sure he's OK.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Maggie is only 5 months, and she has never eaten more than once a day since we brought her home at 9 weeks old. I worry about it constantly, but she's growing and continues to gain the appropriate amount of weight at each vet visit.

My vet told me to make sure I offer her food 2-3 times a day, but if she won't eat after 30 minutes, take the bowl up and not to worry about it. Of course I still worry, but you know the saying, 'You can lead a horse to water'...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts