Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just got my first beagle puppy 2 weeks ago. She just turned 10 weeks on Monday. She's such a beautiful girl but I may have underestimated what I was getting into. Haha, she's a handful. She has good days and bad, but I think overall she's coming along really well and I feel like she's teaching me a lot more than I'm teaching her lol this forum has helped me tremendously even before I created an account. That's what made me want to make one and join this amazing community of beagle lovers.

I've always wanted a beagle since I was a little girl. I was drawn to their large ears and beautiful howl. I'm now 26 and finally was able to get one. My little Lucy is the best thing to happen to me since I met my fiance 6 years ago. So now we're raising Lucy Luvs together.

I'll say he's definitely the instigator and loves to rile her up and get her nipping, so I not only have to reprimand her for biting, but I have to yell at him too haha

But aside from the biting (which is a pretty big problem right now) she's learning very well. She can sit and is learning to lay down. She's learning to fetch and walk nicely on her leash.

If anyone has any tips on getting her used to nail trimming, please send them my way. That's something I'm working on with her and I'm only able to clip one or two toes before she's biting my hand non-stop.

Other than that she's my baby and I'm so happy to have found her.

I'm excited to learn more about the best ways to raise and teach her through this forum.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there!

-Lydia
20200425_183905.jpg
20200427_100852.jpg
IMG_20200419_120331_688.jpg
20200427_101653.jpg

·
Registered
982 Posts
Oh she is adorable! Glad you joined us.

I relate to having a partner not be on the same wavelength. Toby my husband thinks it's cute when the dogs jump on us!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aw what a cutie. My Lucy is really a biter. It's a baby beagle thing, and I think females are more difficult babies than males. My Lucy DEMANDS attention 100%. She's a tough baby for sure! Our Dixie was also a really tough puppy but my mom bore the brunt of her difficulties since I wasn't often home when she was a baby. This little girl is mostly me and my husband helps of course, but instigating her to play rough is a big no no in this house. It sends her off into a fit of zoomies and then she gets really crazy and bitey. She also doesn't know when to tire out and sleep so we have to keep her on a schedule for crate time. While it's a blessing that we are both working from home right now so we get to spend this time with her, it's also been really hard because when she is out of her crate I don't get ANYTHING done. She's gotten better with the potty training but man she really was a little pisser for the first 6-7 weeks or so. Just starting to have days where she doesn't pee in the house. And I know accidents will continue to happen for a while.

Despite all of the difficulties she presents, she's REALLY affectionate, loves when all 3 of us are together, and is our little baby. We love her to pieces and it's obvious she loves us, even if she's biting me. lol. One day at a time, she'll slowly grow out of it and be an absolutely amazing dog! Right now she can sit, lay down, roll over, give me her paw, and high five.

For nail clipping, and while I have not tried this yet I have heard it to work/help, buy a dremel on Amazon or somewhere that helps shave the nails down rather than clip. Clipping is harder. My parents used to give our dogs frosty paws when they did nails and it helped keep them occupied with a treat while they did it. I will be in a position to do this with Lucy soon but her nails are still relatively short and haven't had to yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts