Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is comman for Beagles to be scared of loud noises? They are scared of the lawn mower, motorcycles, and just someone shutting a door loudly. Right now I have 2 Beagles on my shoulders(they must think they are cats) cause something fell in the kitchen.

Anyway to help calm them down or stop them from being so scared?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Daisy never seems to be afraid of noises, but she is very aware of any noise in the house. Any time something makes an unusual sound her head goes up and she turns toward the noise. Sometimes she'll even get up and walk towards it. That's when I get up and investigate. If she's curious then maybe I'd better be, too!!

I think if you are casual about the noises and show them that it doesn't concern you a lot maybe they'll take a cue from you and calm down. But you must do it every time.

I'm sure you'll get more advice from some others on here soon. Happy Holidays!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
326 Posts
Haha, I'm not sure if it's a "beagle" thing but our girls always get scared of loud noises or anything that they are unfamiliar with. I often end up with two beagles scrambling to get onto my lap for a cuddle because theres something that's scared them.

Everyone keeps telling us to harden our puppies up, but I have no idea how!

(... Erin)

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh yes, Charlie is so afraid of anything loud and big. Ever since he was little, he was afraid of trucks. I tried to train him by standing at the corner of the street watching trucks and cars went by, he has gotten better, but still afraid of trucks. Every Wednesday, garbage day, that is a day he likes to stay indoor!
One day as we were walking, we saw a Safeway supermarket truck backing up....beep, beep beep. Charlie frozed, stared at it across the street for quite sometime. I guess the truck driver noticed him, he honked at him /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif . Boy, Charlie jumped and ran! :hi: pulling me behind him.

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Calvin was an adult when Maggie came to live with us, and I noticed she always took her cues from him; If he was calm, she tried to be brave and investigate 'scary' things along with him.
However, Calvin is afraid of my hair dryer and sweeper.....and Maggie isn't, perhaps because I usually kept her close by me as a pup (I couldn't trust her out of my sight for long).

Perhaps you can try 'investigating' things along with them to help with their fears. I hope things improve for ya, although the picture of two scaredy-pups on your shoulders is funny :biglaugh:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey is afraid of sudden noises. If I drop something or the pots clang when I'm putting them away/taking them out she jumps. Things like that. Loud noises from cars and trucks though don't bother her. She rides in the car a lot with me, so I think that was a big help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello! Although I've never used it, I know people who have used Rescue Remedy on their dogs. My holistic vet also sells it and its available online. Here is one of many links available:
http://www.naturalcanine.com/html/rescue_remedy.html
PLEASE NOTE: I would not give anything OTC or herbal without my vet's knowledge, and especially if your dogs (puppies?) are taking other medicines! Take care - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel isn't afraid of loud noises, and hasn't been for atleast 8 years Lightning once hit a pole about 100 yards from us and all he wanted to do was go sniff in the rain!

We work hidden stop checks at off-road races so quiet, then here comes a Trophy Truck or Motorcycle which make loads of noise especially when accelerating after the check. The Bagel pays 'em' no never mind.

This is a poor rescue who cowered the first time I hollared at him! I wonder how much of this is they sense your uneasiness and concern for their well being!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Goober the beag knows that gunshots mean "wildgame trimmings" for him...But despite the training "Homer-the-huge" got... He is a total "Wuss"! :doh:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Henry hits the ceiling in the event of a loud noise or even the presence of an unfamiliar object in an odd place in the house.

But I think it has more to do with his past than being a beetle. (he was an sick, adult rescue that came to us from Louisiana last year).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts