Our Beagle World Forums banner

Loose Stool Question

10K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  spridell 
#1 ·
I know there are tons of loose stool questions on this site. And I also have one.

Buddy has been having some loose stool poblems over the last 2 months.

He goes to the bathroom 4 times a day. 2 in the morning and then 2 in the late afternoon evening.

Now here is his problem.... The 2 times he goes in the morning the stools are perfectly firm like it should be. The 2 times he goes at night they are very loose. I wouldnt say its runny or diahera because he goes the same time everyday and doesnt go more than normal.

He was on Merrick for 1 month and 2 weeks ago just switched over to Wellness but he still has the problem. I just started to add some pumpkin today to see how it goes. He did have some worms in the beginning but they are gone now.

Any ideas?

Could it be the food? I think it might be but if it was the food wouldnt his stools be loose ALL the time instead of just at night?

I feed him NO treats at all. Sometimes a couple of cheerios or a tiny piece of boiled plain chicken when he does good boy outside.

thanks for the help.

See less See more
#4 ·
4 times a day at least for Charlie. Usually they are both double poopers in the AM. Early evening both are good for one, charlie sometimes two. Before bed Charlie has another. Except the morning ones, most are small. Sometime runny if he appears to be forcing it out. The both get a slap of pumpkin every other night after dinner for a dessert. Figured what could it hurt, they love the stuff!

#5 ·
Our males does the same thing at different times of the day but if he is eating, drinking and acting normal I don't worry. I would think if it was an issue it would be happening with every stool.

#7 ·
That sounds exactly like Moosie! He usually poops 3-4 times a day, morning, afternoon and evening. His morning poop is almost always absolutely normal, his afternoon poop often starts to get sort of slimy (kind of like mucous), and then in the evening at least half the time his poop is quite runny. We have never investigated it further than mentioning it to the vet in passing, though, since generally he is fine and the runny poop never continues for more than one or two poops.

Do we have a BW poop pattern developing here?!?!

#10 ·
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
I've noticed a similar thing with Bodie. Many times he'll go 2-4 times during a 30 minute walk. What we've noticed is the first BM is normal. But each subsequent BM gets looser and mushier. I'm not sure why either. But then again that dog will stick anything in his mouth so who knows.
I've noticed that with all of ours, too - not just Moose. We have a special walk that we do many Sunday mornings (although our schedule has been so messed up we barely did it in 2008 - note to self - go on special walks again...) and I swear the hounds, Booker in particular, would try to squeeze out every last poop they could possibly do during the special walk, and towards the end it was almost as if the poop wasn't quite ready, if you know what I mean... and therefore was very different in consistency than it was at the beginning.

Okay, I really can't believe I am describing my dogs' poop in this much detail!!!

#12 ·
The pumpkin seems to be making it somewhat better.

The question is, how long can I feed him the pumpkin? I put about 1/2 tablespoon in his food each time i feed him (twice a day)

Is it safe to keep feeding him the pumpkin? I tried to give him his bittles without the pumpkin and he looked up at me with the are you kidding me look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.